Help, please: What are these?

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Jane,

They may be handles for a machine and the caps are to protect the soft threads, why they are not with the rest of the machine is the real mystery!!

Bob

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Those are base plate pins, and what's cool about these is that not only are they made of pre-famulated amulite, they are also surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing. Without getting too technical, they're used to reduce sinusoidal depleneration in panendurmic semi-bolloid slots on (or in, depending on model) panametric fan shafts.
The scary thing is, that makes complete sense to me, unlike the other answers.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Well I was hoping someone would tell me I had something very rare and very valuable! So far I have Widgets,hootis, chingadera,thingamajig, buggeredifiknow, but none of this sounds valuable to me, at least monetarily.
Sam I have no earthly idea what you just said, typed or whatever. Haha
The box of stuff was originally purchased at an auction or something and nothing in the box seems to go with these buggers. I did however get some sweet mandrels and a bead making kit, it was like my birthday and Christmas all in one!
Dave (silverchip) if I told you what a hootis is I'd have to........well you know what happens to people when they know to much. :)
Thanks for everyone's response. Made me laugh anyway making these very valuable tools!:tiphat::thumbsup:

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
At first glance, I thought they were whatsits, but after looking longer realized they might be thingamjigs. Hope this helps, and a laugh is always worth many smiles, while a smile is invaluable!
Will

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
My thoughts are that they remind me of a excercise we had to do in metal work at collage ( not sure what you call it over there but education from age 12 to 17 )
We had to make a big knob, Knurl it & plug thread it. then machine a thread onto a bit of alui rod, tie our name tag on & hand it in for marking. What the teacher did after that I have no idea
So it may be just an excersice of no idea

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Well I am glad I wasn't missing the obvious on these. Still would like to know what they heck they are though. I guess I need to make something for them to be a part of? HMMMMMMM any ideas?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Les, what do you me "nobody has a reasonable answer"? I was serious about the zinc anodes. These look like the ones I used on my Volvo diesel engine on a sailboat I once owned.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are tricyclic anode refunging pins and they are made of chronosinclastic infandoublum. The way you can be sure is to take two of the caps off, and touch the treaded end to your tongue.

NO, WAIT! DON'T TOUCH THEM TO YOUR TONGUE!!!

Ishokenmei

I was over at the local metal shop here in Yokohama, Japan and I saw these for sale. I played around with them for a little bit and they do in fact have caps that can be taken off. The sign listed them as ワーチャーマカレット and below that in quotes it had "テェンガマジッグ”. What you have possibly originated from Japan. Nice find!

Hora

Elite Cafe Member

Jane,
In The Netherlands we call this a hebbeding and they come in sets of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 or more. The value over here is high, especially if you have none. There are collectors that will pay anything to hold one. People may be jealous that you have a set of 5! Better to keep it to your self and be careful, do not tell anybody that you have some!

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Based on these answers I am still not sure if I do Hoot....HAHA just kidding!

Ski

They are in fact sacrificial zinc anodes used in marine applications. I have some that look just like that in my Chevy 454's. They don't have a lot of value, but they sure are useful. Because electrolysis is always an issue in boating, (dissimilar metals in contact in an electrolyte) these anodes will be "eaten up" or "sacrificed" before things like pistons, rings and bearings. You'll find other shapes of zinc anodes applied to rudders, shafts and props too.
Rgds.........Ski

Latest posts

Sponsors