Help, please: whant to know ho to sharpen a set graver

leo

Elite Cafe Member
ok I just was going crazy trying to start practicing my engraving n I found this items in e-bay and bough them I would like to know if did right or wrong

Gravers and Handles from E. C. Muller NY NOS Lot of 8

8 gravers and handles, 4 knife style, 4 onglette
NEVER SHARPENED: these are new old stock with full tangs
They are much heavier and stronger than the usual style
For engraving guns, jewelry etc
One each # 2, 4, 10, 12 onglette and one each # 2, 4, 10, 12 knife
and also got a double sided diamond sharpening stone medium and fine I love to get some info an how to sharpen them and what kind of engraving I can practice with them

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Well, abit of both. As a beginner you'll have a problem...but what you have can be used later when you know better.
I'll let someone else guide you for a first tool depending on your intentions.

leo

Elite Cafe Member
here are some pic http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/w225/m/maKeqnhF_XUlHUQxVm-mgpA.jpg,http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Unused-Onglette-Knife-Gravers-Handles-Engraving-Gunsmithing-Stonesetting-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/-swAAOxyaoFSFiP8/$T2eC16JHJGUFFh1opyU8BSFiP7sO)w~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Unused-Onglette-Knife-Gravers-Handles-Engraving-Gunsmithing-Stonesetting-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/6hEAAOxy77hSFiP-/$T2eC16NHJGYFFkn,pk3TBSFiP-Y64w~~60_14.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Unused-Onglette-Knife-Gravers-Handles-Engraving-Gunsmithing-Stonesetting-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/9SkAAOxym2BSFiQB/$(KGrHqNHJFYFILdJo6vYBSFiQBE9!g~~60_14.JPG

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Look in the tips section. . There is a tool list for beginners

I highly recommend this video.

GRS engraving and techniques by Don Glasser dvd.

The best 39 bucks you'll spend

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i found the muller gravers wont stand up to the hard stuff. they were created primarily for jewelry engravers. not sure, but the mullers may possibly be heat treated to work on some of the softer steels. you're far better buying modern gravers. they're designed to tackle much tougher materials. keep the mullers for silver, gold & copper. grs company sells gravers that will stand up to do the job. check in the tips section- there may be an article covering treating the mullers. i do recall reading info on this very subject some time ago.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
And dont be to concerned about the actual shape of the graver itself.
The actual cutting tip can be sharpened into any conceivable profile,angle.
Get Meeks book.
michael

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can sharpen them the same way you sharpen any gravers. You can also change their geometry.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best advice I could give you would be to spend a little time here on the forum before making another purchase. Traditional gravers will be of little use without some instruction. You can find more information with a little searching here than you could absorb over several years of study. Also spend some time on you tube. You can find quite a few engraving videos there but do keep in mind that most of the posters are engravers with many years of experience and therefore make the process look deceptively easy.
Layne

leo

Elite Cafe Member
thank you for you advises but my thing was I did not have time to look over some of the thread but since I been in here since Friday looking at the tip archive I able to come up with the best choice for me to learn I think is to buy the grs c-max burin with the graver handle and on the side buy 120 degrees pre-shaped graver ,a flat pre-shaped one and a 3/32 square blank for making the heels with a small ceramic stone I picked up

Latest posts

Sponsors