Western Badges from Scratch

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone still make western badges from scratch? From scratch I mean: make a model, cast in a base metal, coat in a finish metal, hand engrave, finish and add mounting, etc.

I remember there was a gentlemen who made badges called Bob's Old Badges. He's since stopped and his web presence is gone. All I find now are China crap badges.

Just wondering of there are any real badge makers left for western collectors, like me.

Thanks in advance, and if you have a picture of your favorite badge, I'd love to see it! I really enjoy seeing the diverse badges and manufacture of these early "chest targets." :)
scottd.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, can you some of your favourite badges? That because I'm not sure what those are, I think I have some old ones but I could be totally misunderstand it

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
scott,Did'nt jeweler make badges for the Texas Rangers out of Mexican pasos,and do they still make them that way? J.J.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
scott,Did'nt jeweler make badges for the Texas Rangers out of Mexican pasos,and do they still make them that way? J.J.

They are made from the 1947 and 1948 Mexican 5 peso coins which are 30 grams of 90% silver. The reverse of the coin and the edge reeding are left on the badge.

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Scott, can you some of your favourite badges? That because I'm not sure what those are, I think I have some old ones but I could be totally misunderstand it

arnaud

I will post a few pics later today, Arnaud. My interest is in the 1860 to 1900 period, typically considered the "Wild West," although I think the actual West was pretty wild up through about the 1915's or more.

We make replicas as well special editions out of silver & gold.

Brian

PM me with your contact info, Brian. I'd like to chat with you about having one done.

Doc cleared that up, but I'm sure that you have to stay away from any current issue designs, or still in use designs, as they would be illegal to own (this is my guess and I'm not interested in having the Rangers come here to clarify it for me... :) )

I have one of his Territorial U.S. Marshal badges. They were made as authentic as an original. Too bad he's no longer in business.

Yes, too bad for sure! When I said from scratch, that's how Bob made them. You don't have any of his literature, Doc, do you? I'd love to contact him and see who took over his work - if anyone. He had a list of rare badge info in his catalog. Wish I had kept a copy of it now.

Bob was the essence of what my signature says. He built those badges like they were gold, and sold them for $50 -$60 each, all handmade. Talk about loving your craft!

Thanks All, for the input. I appreciate it.
scottd.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You don't have any of his literature, Doc, do you? I'd love to contact him and see who took over his work - if anyone. He had a list of rare badge info in his catalog. Wish I had kept a copy of it now.

Sorry. I didn't keep anything. I figured he'd always be there. I was wrong. :(

Here's a quick snapshot of my Territorial US Marshal badge I got from Bob years ago:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
That's a nice piece. That would look great on one of my derringer shelves! The missing touch...

Here's to Old Bob! Thanks for the look, Doc.
scottd.

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I can make these kind of badges, even in Titanium. or scratch.
But I must say it isn't the kind of badges I thought it would be, so sure a picture tells more than the words only.
I only have a few military badges, they are collector items as well.
I will make a photo to show them

araud

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
...so sure a picture tells more than the words...
araud

The beauty of the badges of the Old West, at least for me, are in the minimalism of the entire piece. They are elegant in their simplicity.

My interest in this era badge is in the period correct manufacture of the reproduction. At some point I'm going to put this on my project list, but for now it's an information gathering project.

I'd love to see what badges ran through your mind, as they obviously are different than above. I am not familiar with military badges, so I'm excited to see what you have.
scottd.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,

I think the confusion is that you are using the word badge in the civilian public safety sense. In other words law enforcement and firefighting badges. In the military a badge denotes certification of a skill such as jump wings or a marksman's badge. In the army and air force the police insignia you would call a badge is called a shield.

Attachments

• Air police shield.jpg
    Air police shield.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, Roger, you hit the nail on the head and thank you. The shields I'm researching are from the law enforcement agencies of that west era, and there are many styles and historical pieces to study.

Thank you for clarifying that they are actually shields, not badges.

Brian: I put in a call to the DPS to chat with them about what i want to do with the Rangers shield, and I'll be back in touch with you. We'll keep this thing moving along.

I also am working on obtaining some of the five peso coins to work with and practice on. Thanks so much for your input and help.
scottd.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also am working on obtaining some of the five peso coins to work with and practice on.

I stocked myself up on them already and have it on my To Do List myself. It takes some time but I used a bid sniper and got them on eBay. Some for as low as $13.00 but most in the mid $20 range. I think they are pushing $40 nowadays.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, they are around $40 or so. I'll grab some and let you know when I'm going to start on the project. Maybe we can get a few of us together and work through one at each studio, sharing methodology and the outcomes.
scottd.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah, they are around $40 or so. I'll grab some and let you know when I'm going to start on the project. Maybe we can get a few of us together and work through one at each studio, sharing methodology and the outcomes.
scottd.

One thing I got was this huge doming punch and die set made by Pepe with the larger punch being 3-3/4" diameter:

Latest posts

Sponsors