Question: West Coast Engravers Confabulation?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
You can't survive this long without learning to be careful... and I am well known for being overzealous with safety.

"Carlos's Cantina" with the Tiki torches will be way out in the back of the park.

I'll put some fire extinguishers out there in case the gurls he's talkiin' about bringin' - try to pole dance with 'em

B.

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, about 5 years ago we had a get together like this for bit and spur makers. We held it in Texas at a fellow's shop and over 40 makers showed up. They came from Arizona, California, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas. and of course Texas. It was a great deal, educational and fun!

Stewart

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stewart,

Describe that event a little if you would?

There are a lot of things I have to think about and plan for - the more input and suggestions I get, the better it will be.

I pretty much know what guys my age are gonna do.

Look at stuff and tell lies about stuff they've seen.

Eat and tell some more lies about food they've eaten.

Sit around the fire at night and tell some of the biggest best lies of all...

But I think that perhaps folks are looking for a little more than that after a two or 3 day drive?

Brian

Last edited:

FerrousOxide

Brian,
Count me in! Being "local" I'll do whatever I can to assist in set up/ planning/ whatever. :)

Catching up on all of the replies... given 3 days, it seems like a great chance to have folks do demo's for their own talents. And with the setup you have, there's plenty of spots for "hands on" experience.

Just tossing out some ideas of things I'd like to see.... "gun" engraving (steel)... knife work... western silver fabrication/engraving (silver overlay, saddle silver, jewelery, etc)... design theory and practice... interesting/unusual use of materials...

For anyone interested, I could put together an afternoon trip to do some wine tasting in lovely Amador County... not that far from Brian's compound. :)

Rob

Last edited:

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, back then we (the bit and spur makers) were hanging out on a bit and spur forum. It all got started on there. First of all we had a maker who had a large shop just east of Dallas volunteer to let it happen at his place. Then we just worked it out on the forum who was coming and what they wanted to see and do. We drew a schedule out with demonstrations and visiting in between. I wish I could tell you more, my memory isn't what it used to be. It was an amazing event. We had a couple more, but we could never duplicate how great that first one was.
Stewart

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Are you saying Lenny got a super charged lawn tractor ;) I should catch up with him on route somewhere ;)

Peter

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would love to attend. When is it? Peter the tractor is not supercharged. It has a J34 engine from a P2V. I won't be bringing it as it needs a new or rebuilt steering box.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian apparently the crop circle have been linked to the Hutterites. When is the party at your place?

BKJ

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to try and come. I am on the other side of the Sierras from you.

Don't you think we should supply something for Carlos to buy though... just saying! :biggrin:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BKJ Brian will be able to supply Carlos' buying needs for quite some time.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

It passed that stage as soon as I got offers of some solid local help. No way I could pulll this off alone!

John R, Rob Scott, Trini Uriarte, and maybe a coupla others. Troy G? The more help we have the better!

We will meet up, have a Skype or phone conference - work out some basic details and settle on the dates next.

It's gonna happen.

Brian

Last edited: