Announcement: Well I finally did it!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After over 41 years of practicing dentistry, I've finally RETIRED! I'm trying to clean out part of my garage so that I can set-up a dedicated engraving bench. I'm salvaging some of my once expensive dental cabinets to be the bases for the bench and then I'll top it with either butcher block or a good salvaged solid core door. All that's stopping me is finding a buyer for my old and now unused N-Scale Model train layout that's taking up the wanted corner of the garage.

Hopefully, I'll be able to make my garage as productive as Lee's (fat chance).

I didn't think transitioning to the retired life would be difficult and believe me, it's NOT. However, I must admit that it has been a bit strange wandering around the house for a whole week, without having a hard and fast SCHEDULE to keep. I love it, but it will take me awhile to really believe it's permanent.

So to celebrate, I decided to try another Hobo Nickel. I saw all the fun the Nickel Carvers were having at the last Ken Hurst weekend in North Carolina, put together by Super Hosts Kathy and David Bain. So I made the following "Alpine Dude" with a gold inlayed feather. This is the 3rd Hobo that I've carved and I need some input from you Hobo Pros as to how to go about selling these puppies. My first one was bought directly by a collector who saw it posted on this Forum. But now I need to know if Ebay is the way to go or if there are better venues for sales.

Anyway, to all those of you who are still working......I think I'll go take a nap! He, he, he!

Attachments

• Hobo-Nickel-#3.jpg
    Hobo-Nickel-#3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 279

mrthe

Congratulations for your new engraving/carver full time job!
Very nice nickel! i will check ebay to bid for it ;)

Andrew Biggs

Congratulations Mark

Does retirement mean you are an now a member of the old farts club :)

Instead of going cold turkey you can always power up the high speed drill once a day just to give you that tingling teeth sensation.

Have a good retirement.......it looks to me that you may be busier than ever :)

Cheers
Andrew

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
When you told me you were retiring I wish I had a camera to capture the happy look you had on your face!!!Congrats and a happy and healthy retirement to you. I'm less than 5 years behind you. I sell some of mine on ebay. I do Much better at the FUN show in Florida in January.

Scottyd

Doc,
When I retired my wife said "what about me, don't I get to retire too?" So we agreed on one day a week would be her day - we do what she wants to do and I kind of enjoy that day. Retirement was easy for me - now I just need more days in the week to do all the things I want to do

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
congrats on your coin, and especially your new-found freedom, doc. you'll soon grow tired of doing what you want, when you want, and even if you want. i'm so danged bored, there aint time in a day to enjoy it all ! i'm sure your time off "the clock" is well deserved.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, a garage is a nice place to hang out. Your spectacular cameo carving ability should play right into nickel carving. Enjoy the next 41 years.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks everyone for all the good wishes! I know it's going to be a struggle to adapt but somehow I'll just have to learn to muddle thru. He, He. I am keeping busy, as there are still details surrounding the closing and sale of my practice that need attention. But it is glorious to have the ability to go out on my deck and enjoy a cigar and a wee glass of the Highland's best on any day of the week.

Scottyd, as it turn out, my wife is also retiring at the end of this school year, so we'll have plenty of time to get on each others nerves! You didn't really think she was going to let me stay home and have all the fun by myself did you?

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulation now you can do what you really want to do thats if you can find the time, one just seems to have less time.
Ray
P.S If you manage to have the time pleeeeease let all of us know the secert !!!