WARNING:Adult Content

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah, I lured you in on that title. Its really more like PG-13 for these days. Anyway the girl design is a little different subject matter than what I am used to. Its was not easy, nobody cares how pretty a deer is but, with a woman, a slightly incorrect variation of tone can turn a dream girl into a 1:00 special. Also there is a deer plate, but, it is not near as interesting or as fun to research. As usual comments and critiques are welcome.:D

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian good overall design.

It might be the photos but it looks like they could use a wider range of tonal values in the shading. I like the interaction between the subjects and the scroll work.

Ray

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, I kept all the tones very subtle. Every time I started to get some dark, more contrasting tones, she became very harsh and chiseled looking. I know you do some of this type of work, what do you do to get good contrast but keep the softness.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Fega Tape Chis DeCamillis did on Bulino does a pretty good job of explaining the concept.

Pozobonne's (SP?) does a good job describing it on his website as well.

Ray

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Brian, don't scare me like that! LOL
Lovely work. I agree with Ray that more levels of grey would be nice. You are right in that it's difficult to achieve that without skin looking 'dirty'. Check out Fabbri's site. There are good some examples of how the Italians handle it.

Your scrollwork just keeps getting better and better. You're developing a very nice style! / ~Sam

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
dittos with what the other's have said, with this addition. I think the antlers on the mule deer are a little top heavy into the scroll. There is not a real balance of light and dark in the top third of this cartouche. I think a little sky above the rack would have given you a better balance from the very light chest area of the deer on the bottom, and given more definition to the antlers themselves, as it is they almost get lost in the scroll work.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,
Nice work! Will you have these at Reno?
I will go along with the others as far as comments but would rather see them in person as the photo quality may have a lot to do with the shading/contrast.
I do like the scroll design in the "lady" floorplate.
See you soon!