WARNING-about old gravermax

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
My old gravermax has been making some squeeking noise lateley, after cleaning the main valve and changing the drive belt (o-ring that goes between the motor and pump) it still squeeks. So, I called GRS and talked with Aaron about getting another pump. Much to my surprise it is now obselete and no longer available. Now, these parts almost never go bad. But if considering buying an old gravermax, don't give too much!

Ed DeLorge

By the way, it dosent squeek it turned on its side.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know what you mean. Sometimes I think it is planned. I got a new computer with 64 bit windows. won't run either of my laser printers. Both are industrial models with no issues-just are not completable. Getting out an old xp system-Planned obsolescences - Fred

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This didn't sound right to me so I dropped a note to JB Taylor the tech guru at GRS. Here was his response....
Parts are still available. Valve body 004-551 @ 63.40 in stock. Valve rotor 004-016 @ 27.10 in stock. Sounds like Ed may have a bad motor bearing if it is still squeaking after doing a clean job on the valve body. To isolate the noise he needs to remove the valve rotor and run the motor by itself. If it still squeaks, then it is a motor bearing. The valve body to motor alignment is super critical, we recommend sending in for a Valve Body/Rotor installation.

Hope that helps.
Rex

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Rex, thanks for the update, I almost called the repair dept. first but decided to just buy the part and install it my self. I must have missunderstood the salesman. I am happy to hear the parts are still available.

Thanks, Ed

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ran into the same problem with a printer of mine. It wouldn't work with the supplied software but a scaled down driver that came with Windows 7 would. Did you try just "plug and play" with the printer? Or checking on the printer web site for an updated driver?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's an honest mistake. I got the same reply from JB at Glendo. There are thousands of these trusty old Gravermaxes out there and I'll bet Ed's still has a lot of miles left on it! :)

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Rex, Can you work your mirical on my printer drivers? Fred

If it were me I’d try to run XP installed as a printer server and run it in the background on a VM.

Bob

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another part for Mitch to start makin'?

Brian

i think i'll pass, thanks...:thinking:

but on a couple related notes: if it's a motor bearing, Ed might be able to call the motor mfr directly- there's probably a nameplate on it. even if that motor was made specifically for GRS it almost certainly uses standard components. they might be able to repair or replace it.

years ago i got tired of my power hone running in, what i considered, the wrong direction. i called the mfr and ordered the identical motor with a reversed rotation. (some time later, GRS started selling power hones with a reversing switch so you could use them in either direction.)

as far as making various parts & tools for the trade, i'd do a LOT more if the market would support it. as just a couple examples, i've completely re-engineered the foot pedal on my gravermax for greatly improved response and it's whisper quiet (no blast of a compressed air leak annoying me and freaking out my dogs!)- and it would be quite a bit cheaper to produce than the factory model. also, i've made several major upgrades to their basic model sharpening fixture. the engraving biz is just too small to bother for most stuff like this, so i've got a shop full of customized, tricked out tools that have no commercial value. oh, well....

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Would condensation be the problem for any of the engraving tools that run on air and would it be wise to unplug them from the air compressor when not in use? J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors