Help, please: want to learn

i have always admired the ability of engravers and while i am a woodworker and have done quite a bit of carving, engraving is a different animal. i would like to learn but don't know where or how to start

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Taking an engraving class will jump start you on the road to engraving. There are several teachers here who would be happy to train you. Knowing your first name would be nice so we don't have to call you dragon3rdgroup. :)

Welcome to the Cafe.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
drag,

You are a young person compared to many of the beginners who post here. With that advantage and some good classes behind you the sky's the limit. Most of us recommend a beginning class because you will learn all about the tools and save much time and money doing and buying things that are counterproductive. Many of us who began more than 30 years ago did not have the option of classes and know their value to the more recent beginners.

RB

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if traveling isn't an option, some of the instructors have on line, live video hookups where things come together right in front of your eyes. chris decamillis has such instruction available. there may be others as well. sam has dvd instructional videos on many of the things you'll want to learn. also the james b. meeks book, "the art of engraving" will give you a birds-eye-view of the disciplines you will want to learn. with your carving skills, i assume you to be able to handle drawing. you'll just be doing such in a much smaller area.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Hello, I am also learning to engrave. My store is in Middleton Wi, send me a PM. I can show you how to Sharpen a 120 & Square graver. I can also show you the tools. I think with some one showing you how to sharpen, and if you took the time to read & watch DVD, You will be on your way. Sam DVD's are great and are helping me out big time. I am not looking to make $$ of you I know how tricky it is to get going. I also took a class on engraving & I will be taking one more this year.

Jake

i appreciate the kind words and advice , i did find a school i believe it was in arkansas they had a beginners class for around 750 .00 is that a good price? In fact i believe it was linked to this site if i'm not mistaken

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Taking a class is so much help. Also there are many DVD's that you can purchase. Sam has a few that are very good. Check them out they are very helpful.
Gary

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
An excellent beginners school as well as affordable is Johnny Weyert's school down in Alpine ,Texas. Johnny teaches several classes a year from beginner to advanced.
Engraving is similar to any other art form in the respect that in order to accomplish anything worthy, you need a good solid foundation, along with a good blueprint and then the actual ability to do the work.
You will learn tool sharpening = foundation. Design/patterns= blue prints. Cutting = the actual building.
Good Luck,
ATC

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
is a very long learning curve worth eliminating for $750.00 ? i don;t know the "stats" on the classes, but all who have taken them learn the proper way of doing "it all" in short order. i learned the hard way, and still suffer because of it.don't let a low budget scare you away; there's many options available that require very little initial cash expenditure. best of luck

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Toby, as everyone said taking a class is one of the best ways to start. Also as mentioned Sam and Chris has some great videos on line. Also both have some great DVD to buy that is a great help. Nothing is better than getting a engraver in your hands and learning from what you have done. As they say baby steps and with practice it will start falling in place.

Gary

Latest posts

Sponsors