Waka

Andrew Biggs

The Maori war canoe known as Waka Taua were made from the mighty totara or kauri trees. The prow was usually carved with elaborate designs and figureheads with the arms turned backwards.

As the waka cut it’s way through the water , Tangaroa, God of the sea, would let his children, the dolphins, play around the craft. Often the waka was accompanied and protected by a sea monster known as a Taniwha who would hide in the waves looking over his charges.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Another intricate and interesting Biggs design! Nice work, Andrew. There's some really cool stuff going on here...Are those gems you have set?

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for the kind words

Sam.........the stones are citrine and WH set them.

Bruce..........The taniwha is laying in the waves to the left and the large figure on the right is the figurehead of the war canoe cutting through the water. Generally the figurehead was quite distinctive and very eleborate with the body leaning forward and the arms pointing backwards.

Cheers
Andrew

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew
Top shelf I have always liked a drop point and you have done the knife proud:clapping::tiphat:
ray
p.s is there going to be any cheap knockoff on this one and can the blade be polished the rust has left a funny pattern on it
:rolleyes::biggrin:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I see you have been busy and still had the time to help me with my upcoming Wm. Henry!!! Your unselfish giving of your time and expertise will always be appreciated by all of us here at the Cafe. This is a great knife design, your distinctive style will sure makes it easy for future engraving historians to declare which museum pieces were done by the famous (or infamous) A. Biggs!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
totally "organic" to my eye. i love how you made a couple of "tentacles" come out of nowhere. and those eyes staring back at me. really cool look to this one. :banana:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely superb, as always Andrew. :) Really refreshing design.
I agree with Brian... love the background storie that accompanies the hardware.

Jo

Latest posts

Sponsors