Video Tutorial using Illustrator chapter one "the backbone"

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sure my way is not “the way”, Andrew learned and insist on me to use paper and pencil, sure it is great and I still do, but… I do it also a different way now, a way I’m good at and has all the tools to work with, for me faster and better.

And I’m convinced not all of you will appreciate my way, like some of you also don’t like the power tools, as you think the old way by hand pushing is best and all new is easier and cheating. In my opinion it is not, it only has more possibilities.
If one has the need to discuss this, start another tread on that, I will love it to participate!
This is chapter 1, if any interest, I have a plan for some more video. Second will be adding the leaves, making the background black and adding the shading
For the video:
I have tried to be as clear as I can using English which is not my native language, so you can turn off your speakers if it is to bad.

Some shortcuts I use are:
‘CTRL C’ = copy
‘CTRL V’= paste
‘CTRL Z’ = undo
‘CTRL spacebar’ left mouse click = zoom+
‘CTRL ALT spacebar’ left mouse click = zoom-
‘spacebar’ right mouse left is hand move
Using and holding down CTRL, the previous select tool is used
Holding down the ‘shift’ key scales using the same proportions

You can find all shortcuts in the text menu

The golden mean spirals are copy pasted using Spirals-EPS, it is free for download.
To use a spiral in the golden mean you have to use exponential, multiplier = 1,62

Hope you like it,

One remark, the audio (my voice) is not really synchronized with the screen.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbeDIlLuOKI

I know the backbone does not look good, here is a result of a previous video recording that shows a better backbone

arnaud

Attachments

• demo01.jpg
    demo01.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, I don't have time to watch the whole thing at the moment, but I liked what I saw.
I'll go back 'cause I want to get familiar with 'Illustrator'.And your english pronunciation is good and understandable.
Kevin

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Video is well done, clear and consise. I always wanted to see this done. I haven't used Illustrator but am looking around for a copy and looking forward to future installments.
Thanks - Candy

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Arnaud!

Irrespective of our individual choice of approach to design, this kind of knowledge is for me very valuable. I like pencil and paper, yet I am fascinated with the vector software of Illustrator. It is a deep programme, and your tutorials will specialize in those parts of Illustrator most useful to scroll based engraving design layout, so that is good.

Within almost any approach, there is plenty of room for the creative human spirit to be at play.

Looking forward to your continuing and generous video tutorials!

Rod

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Way cool and very helpful! I've been amazed at your art/layout you've shared here and wondered how you got such precise lines and arcs. I'll definitely try this in PhotoShop. Tnx!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, nothing wrong with the pencil, I've been looking at your scroll designs for a while.
I think you can take advantage of this as no mater pencil or vector, you should start with the backbone, do nothing more and only add leaves when the backbone is perfect.
Otherwise it will be to confusing like Scott already explained in your last tread.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for looking at this, the video now has already been showed 84 times.
Also wanted to find out if there is some interest for this kind of tutorials.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another thing, if you don't have Adobe Illustrator installed on you computer, you can download the latest version from the Adobe website.
You may use it free for 30 days,

Here is the link: Adobe Illustrator just click the TRY button.

I'm using CS3 but I see they already have version CS5

arnaud

leroytwohawks

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, Speaking for myself I would very much like to see more tutorials. I think you did a fine job on explaining this as it seem that most of this type tutorials that are out there don't deal with the engraving field, and beyond that don't explain as you did what the shortcuts are and what the keys and tools are that your using, much less show you where to find them. Most of the time you just see the mouse flying around the screen and your supposed to magically know what there doing, :big grin: but you make it simple.

Cant wait to see the one on leafs and the rest,:thumbs up:
Kevin

Also wanted to find out if there is some interest for this kind of tutorials.

arnaud

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud

Thank you...Im bringing this back from the dead very well done...and people please look at his other videos very informative.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud.
I don't know what I expected. But it was different than the way you sound.
I think I have been assigning voices to people's posts in this forum, so when I heard you my brain said 'that's not how he sounds'

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It is just too hard for me to speak English on a tutorial like this. My vocabulary is just too poor especially when I have to use all technical terms.
So this was take 6 or something like that, and after some beers I did sound like this. :biggrin:

But I quit drinking alcohol for over a year now so perhaps it is time for me to make a record while I'm singing.

Anyway, here is how I sound when playing the contrabass.

[video=youtube;9c2DVuS0XLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c2DVuS0XLA[/video]

arnaud

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors