Victor Vasquez engraved plate.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Somewhere around here I have a set of conchos and maybe a belt buckle he engraved.

This woulda been in the early 70's? I think we met around 69 or 70... his shop was in San Jose then.

Went there almost every weekend for 3 or 4 years. (Except when there was a roping going on. I heeled for him a few times.)

Wonder what he would have thought of what goes on nowadays?

I still have a coupla gravers he gave me... including the famous one that sharpened itself when left overnight stuck in a potato.

Brian

When did you meet up with him Lenny? How long did he let you hang around? Was he still with Joyce or was it later on?

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380714882.217353.jpg
Brian, I met Vic in 1987. Doug Houston introduced me to he and Kathy. I didn't do any work for him until he moved to Benson. Around that time he was sending snaffle bits to Germany so I would build 25 at time. He had nice jigs so everything went fast. At the end of the day Kathy would cook us the best steak dinner. That was the pay.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I ran into Vic in Hollister, I only got to go to his place once,but hung around for all day and made a pest of myself. I remember he had a solid silver sculpture on the window sill. It was a work in progress about 6-8 " tall , (a roping figure?) Wonder what happened to it?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, I don't know but Vic talked about a solid gold eagle that Fran Harry sculpted. Vic said it was perfect.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
When Fran lived in Hayward (or was it San Leandro - fuzzy memory) I hung around as much as he'd let me...

I remember him saying something about a Spanish (Spain) engraver who had lived in Mexico, one from Germany and an engraver from one of the Slavic countries that influenced him a lot. One of them, I think the Spaniard lived somewhere in the Bay Area and the European lived up around Lake Tahoe.

I have about a dozen sheets of pencil rubbings of his work and maybe one piece of his work.

Brian

Brian

Latest posts

Sponsors