Vegas/Fega Impressions

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since this was my first time visiting the FEGA convention I thought I might post about the time I spent there.
The show was fantastic. I think the Beinfeld Show is a perfect fit for FEGA for the present. I had nothing to compare it to but the traffic seemed fairly steady through the tables and quite a few folks said it was definitely busier than in years prior. Looks like we may have found a good home for now.
I had a few goals in mind for the show. One of which was to finally meet some of the forum members I only knew through email or threads. The first person I recognized in the lobby was Katherine Plumer which was a nice surprise since she's helping me out on the gun I'm working on now. Everyone else I met was generous, warm and welcoming. FEGA is definitely like a big family. It's nice to feel like I'm a part of it now. I spent quite a bit of time questioning, visiting and generally bugging other engravers and in return I learned a lot and feel like I've made a few friends.
Another goal was to finally compare some of my work to that of other professionals. I'm self taught and work alone. I had never seen another well engraved gun in person until this weekend. I was pleased to find out that I am indeed doing clean and competent work. I'm also more driven to keep moving forward and push myself harder this year. The level of workmanship on the pieces I saw was inspiring. There was a high level of creativity and attention to detail on display at the show.
A nice surprise was the number of fine cased English shotguns and rifles displayed in the antique arms section of the show. To see that many superbly cut high end guns in one place is a rare treat, very educational, and a first for me.
It was a tough decision for me to make this trip. I had intended to have a table this year but was unable to properly prepare due to an illness. I had only enough time to work on one gun that displayed at SHOT Show before FEGA. Now that it's all over I know it was the right decision. Yes, it's a big expense but I look at it as an investment. Given the experience, knowledge and friendships gained, it was quite a small price to pay. I would highly recommend planning your trip for next year if you are able. I guarantee it will be an unforgettable experience.
I didn't take many pictures while in the FEGA area. I did however take quite a few photos of English and Italian guns while at Shot Show and in the antique firearms booths at Beinfeld. I'll post them on a link in the next few days.
Thanks to all those who freely offered their help and criticism! You know who you are and I value and appreciate your time.
See everyone next year!
Layne Zuelke
Oh, and thank you Rod for the pics you took! Here's me, second from the left, among some of the most talented folks I've ever walked the strip with!
L to R- Fred Bowen, Me, Roger Bleile, Katherine Plumer, Andrew Biggs, Mark Hoechst, Van Angle
Behind the camera: Rod Cameron

Attachments

• IMG_1451.JPG
    IMG_1451.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne,

I very much enjoyed meeting you in Vegas, and going on our walk on the Strip, following your good advice that allowed us to see many highlights.

We had some good times together, and I look forward to seeing examples of your work soon on this forum.

Your post is very well written, and just the kind of personal impression that will be valuable for others who may want to consider attending in the future. I hope others will be encouraged to give us a line or two from their own experience, and so allow organizers to fine tune if necessary for next year.

Rod

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lanye, I really enjoyed finally meeting you in person. Our small group dinner on Sunday night was especially enjoyable. I'm also pleased that your first impressions were the same as I experienced 7 years ago, at my first show. The FEGA Family is truly a marvelous group of people. They are always willing to help you in any way they can! Yes, your work is extremely clean and you have a great future in this art form.

I'm sorry I missed your group "walkabout" along the Strip, but my old feet couldn't have kept up with your travels. I only made it as far as the "Venetian" and after exploring that huge edifice, I barely made it back to my room!

Anyway, I hope to see you again next year!

Latest posts

Sponsors