Vargas knife for Blade

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is one that is going to Blade show. It is a Matt Lerch with reproductions of early Vargas girls. The frame and blade is etched stainless damascus, all the colors are inlays of various gold alloys with the exception of the gray fluff on the pink dress which is palladium and the girls' hair which is shakudo.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian,Beatiful engraving and the anatomy Wow,I have a 1942 Vargas calender the gals are all in bathing suits.Keep up the good work.J.J.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Were he alive today, Sr Vargas would want to be the proud owner of this knife. I was moved to review Vargas' career, his later work was well known to any young man fascinated by the gravity defying poses in Esquire and later publications, and his portfolio large. Your choice in honoring him, with Art Nouveau frame is perfect. You have done well in capturing his gift of combining the demure with the sensual. I continue to be mind boggled as to how you can retain the delicacy of execution at such a small scale. Great work!

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That should win every award they have at the show. What a fantastic piece of engraving!

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outstanding Brian. The subtle shading just keeps getting better and the sophistication level climbs higher. Very nice framing and scroll.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
Again a very fine work , Brian.
The design of the ornament is delicate, finely executed and in harmony with these exquisite young ladies.

mrthe

this is one of the best knife engraved that i see ever ( for my taste) congratulations what amazing work!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, so now I have a new Favorite! Brian, all the elements of this masterpiece work so well together that I don't have enough adjectives to compliment you enough! Magnificent!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work Brian. You put some hours into it that's for sure. The girls are great but I think the art nouveau scroll really pulls it together nicely.

Latest posts

Sponsors