Unset jewellery mounts....

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,

I`m searching for a new source of unset jewellery mounts...preferably available in a wide range of metals.

Quite a few seem to come semi-set, I want to avoid that as i prefer to do the whole thing myself :thumbsup:

Can be US, or somewhere in Eu...did look into stuller, but unsure if some of the fancier designs are available totally unset?

Any ideas of sources appreciated, I`m getting bored with my current sources & need new blood without having to design my own.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
...did look into stuller, but unsure if some of the fancier designs are available totally unset?

You can buy anything Stuller makes as totally unset findings and you can even buy them unpolished if you prefer. They will even custom make almost anything from any metal or color. And they will even cast your waxes for you too.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that :)
Had trouble finding that info without having an account..which would be the next hurdle.
Any other options welcome.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ALA was a group of (if memory serves) three families. ALA no longer exists in the form it originally was. From my understanding, one of the three is no longer in the business. The other two are represented by the companies of Overnight Mountings and Adwar Casting.

Overnight is trying to be like Stuller offering a huge line of prefinished castings ready for just in time delivery. I will note that I've had considerable issues with their white gold product being brittle.

Adwar casting is more like ALA, in they offer a huge variety of styles but are slower to deliver. They cast as ordered, not stocking many, if any, ready mounts. I've had no issues with the Adwar products but the delivery time is not always ideal.

There's really quite an immense source of casting houses out there offering a "catalog" of stock mounts. My best suggestion would be to check the JCK "phone book" for additional sources.

In the last 15 years the jewelry industry has seen a major change in vendors. A lot of the casting companies are out of business as they once were known. Many are either out of business altogether OR they've switched to custom casting for all the Jewelers doing CAD CAM today. I know my personal usage of existing mounts has gone to virtually zero. I do my own design, prototyping, molding, casting, finishing and setting.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Had a reply from one US source, unfortunately they can't supply Europe since their stuff contains nickel...is this likely to be the case with all US products?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Had a reply from one US source, unfortunately they can't supply Europe since their stuff contains nickel...is this likely to be the case with all US products?

Yes. Unless you specify the use of white gold/palladium alloy

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Yes. Unless you specify the use of white gold/palladium alloy

Thanks,
could you re-explain that abit?
Maybe I'm having a dumb moment..
What about yellow/pink golds?
Or are you saying the white metals are all ok?

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
From my understanding the EU bans jewelry with nickle in the alloy.

The white karat gold commonly used in America is of the nickle variety. However, some casting houses are using the palladium alloy which works in EU. Very few people in the US use the palladium alloy, so it's usually a special request deal.

In yellow and pink, there should be no issue. Nickle isn't usually part of those color alloys.

Latest posts

Sponsors