Unknown scroll!

broncob

Reading the book ( again ) Steel canvas, R.L.Wilson, page 41, third row from the bottom, middle scroll:

"old English flat chaseing style".

To me unknown term but nice looking scroll.

I went through the Rogers glossary - nothing, Google - nothing.

I am very curious about it, as I never heard the term and the scroll look's nice.

Can anybody help with more information and if it
is possible some pictures from under the microscope?

Thank you very much!

:eek:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The terminology you are looking at is not a term used in the engraving trade. The references to acanthus and rococo, however, do carry over into gun engraving. Other than Steel Canvas, I have never heard or read of anyone in the engraving trade use the term "old English flat chasing style." It could be that the term is used by those who carve furniture, some of which did carry over to the carving on PA and KY rifles.

Old English, fine English, English rose and scroll, Altenglische arabesken, druck Englisch, Inglesina, and Anglais volutes are all terms that engravers use for the style of ornamentation that you have seen pictured on this forum so often. The German speaking engravers do use the term "flachstitch gravure" (flat engraving) to indicate engraving that is not raised in relief.

That's the best I can do for you on the term but maybe one of our long rifle experts can add more.