Announcement: Unboxing of GRS scroll Master System / template

Paul Russell

Hi Carlos, Thank you for giving me a closer look at the scroll master kit. I had been tossing up whether to get these templates, or just keep practicing drawing freehand scroll backbones, and leaf elements.
I guess, I chose to go with the latter, in the end.

Cheers, Paul.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Carlos. Good video. Learn to draw dude, learn to draw. BTW I'm trying to learn to draw too.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Carlos, Thank you for giving me a closer look at the scroll master kit. I had been tossing up whether to get these templates, or just keep practicing drawing freehand scroll backbones, and leaf elements.
I guess, I chose to go with the latter, in the end.

Cheers, Paul.

Good choice Paul. You are far better off practicing scrolls and learning without the aid of a template.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks glad I could help. I know I still have to learn, Just could not help myself and bought it.

Carlos De La O III

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I used the template for only the backbone last week and it gives you much more ideas where to go with your backbone even when it is not drawn yet you can lay your template in different dirictions and see what's looking good.
I am aware that this is not the solution and you have to draw freehanded but for a beginner in meanwhile it can be a guide i.m.h.o.

I just was overthinking the reservations about using templates when they will make your drawings better or saving time in drawing.
In my opinion if you are using them to put your own ideas to the paper what can be the objection then.
It's a tool that is already there for use like so many other tools and what's the diffence of using templates or using Illustrator?
They both are there to save your time and improve your drawing, as long as you are not getting completey dependet on these tools there's nothing wrong with using them though?

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's a tool that is already there for use like so many other tools and what's the diffence of using templates or using Illustrator?
They both are there to save your time and improve your drawing, as long as you are not getting completey dependet on these tools there's nothing wrong with using them though?

There's nothing at all wrong with using templates or Illustrator to make scrolls if that's what you want to do. I always say it's the end result that counts. However, if learning to draw is your goal, tools like this will most likely slow down the process.

But if someone can use these templates to their advantage then by all means use 'em. If these templates serve as a stepping stone to learning to draw scrollwork, then use them. Like transfers, if it becomes a crutch that you can't do without, then I think you're in trouble.

Can someone...anyone...show me some nice scrollwork that's been designed and cut with this template system?

mrthe

When i had start engraving 2 years ago i had bought this template set,but finally i haven't use it never,after try it i have definitely decided that is not very useful for me for two reason,the backbone of the scroll with a little practice and some basic knowledges of his fundaments is not very difficult to draw,maybe the part more complicated is the leaf structure but with this templates if i had to be honest i don't know where to start for draw a leaf,at the end in my opinion if is only for the draw backbone of the scrolls structure is more easy and helpful use something like InkScape software that is free and have a spiral tool totally configurable and in a few minute you can have good results.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do have those templates for almoust a year now but I was forgotten.
Now that I am more busy with pencil and paper the last few weeks I remembered them.
So I decided to play a little with them and I have to say, the leaves template don't look that usefull to me beside that I don't like the shape of those on the template.
But for a quick layout for your backbone the scroll template can be very helpfull.
There might be very easy to use software but I am very bad at using this type of programs.
So while sitting in my chair with sketchbook, pencil, paper and don't forget the eraser(!) it's comfortable working, quite different then sitting behind the computer and still learning a lot.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lol.. I had to look at the video again I had no idea what you guys were talking about it's an area rug behind it but you can't tell the difference in height from my desk to the floor

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think someone like ldn would not only say we all use crutches, but "power wheelchairs" of all things. funny how those who did so well had no toys to fiddle with.