Announcement: unboxing of colt 1911 engraving transfer kit

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the comments Carlos - we appreciate that you took the time to record your impressions of the EngravingTransfers 1911 Colt Kit as you opened it. Your comments about the casting is especially significant....Les Schowe and I have always concentrated on providing more than a set of simple lines for folks to trace with their graver. The casting provides the opportunity to study depth of cut, background and detail as it was originally cut on the steel Master Plate. Examine the cuts under magnification and notice how the graver was used to create bright cuts, and how lightly the details are cut compared to the main stems of the scrolls. There are variations and choices to make, and we find that after studying the casting closely, students start to create their own personal style.

As you explained in the video - there is a lot to study and learn about how to make your engraving come alive!

Mike Dubber

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paul im glad you enjoyed the video

and Mike

I cannot express how intriguing the casting is, I have to hide it from my wife, hahaha, she's jealous, its because every free moment that I have I find myself studying the piece. She'll live.

"examine the cut under magnification" have not done that yet, but will do

Thanks again for making this available to us rookies.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Carlos,
First, to repeat what Mike said above, thanks for making the video about unpacking our 1911 transfer kit.

Next, you mentioned that you would like to try the transfer method with our transparencies without first purchasing a bottle of Transfer Magic. You can try to mix up a small batch of the "Cirelli Solution" - to give credit where credit is due - which is a 15% solution of Dammar Varnish and Zippo lighter fluid. The Cirelli Solution works quite well. Tom's Transfer Magic also works quite well, and the white solution is fantastic.

I noticed that you have a bottle of Dammar Varnish from one of your earlier videos. You can purchase the zippo from a Cigar Store or from www.amazon.com (I think that Sam Alfano has used alcohol instead of the Zippo. I have never tried this but it must work OK - might take a little longer to dry.) To mix up the solution choose a small measuring spoon and fill it with the Dammar Varnish. Pour the contents into a small bottle. Then add 5 more measuring spoons of the zippo lighter fluid. That is about a 17% solution.

Since you were kind enough to do the video, I would be happy to send you some sample transfers for you to try out so you don't have to use your 1911 transfers to practice on. Just send me a PM or an email with your mailing address and I will send you some practice transfers which you can transfer to a 2X2 inch GRS type practice plate.

Les

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Les

Thank you, was battling the thought of not doing it right.

Note to all, New video on the process coming soon!

Carlos De La O III

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, told you that you would love the casting. It's almost worth more than the templates themselves.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry

I would have to agree, was practicing some shading yesterday and I kept referring to it constantly.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Castings are worth every penny! It was a watershed moment for me when I first saw one as I realized I'd never really seen "Fine" hand engraving before. I, and I think many others, realized I was cutting much to deeply. Changed my work for the better.
Also, while I haven't used the transfers themselves, I do own a set of Single Action Army transfers.
For those who are interested in cutting a SAA, these are most valuable for the outlines of parts and to get a feel for scroll placement and balance. I bought them for this reason alone and was not disappointed.
Thanks Mike and Les!
Layne Zuelke

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It just keeps on giving. I enlarged the casting for my on the go setup.

Carlos De La O III

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382404617612.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382404617612.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 132

leo

Elite Cafe Member
nice work Carlos thank you for keeping us posted and what kind of steel is that that you are using for practice

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leo, It's a regular 2x2 steel practice plate I bought from Tira Michelle web site, and I also bought the Brady block(used to hold the practice plate) from the same website.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred

It just looks like I'm driving but I'm parked at the corner of my girls dance class. .:)

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jesse

Thanks for viewing please subscribe as I will continue to post more videos.

Not related sorry.

Carlos De La O III