Trappings of Texas gear

hmw

Hello folks. Here is 3 pieces that will be going to the Trappings of Texas exibit in Alpine Texas. 2 pr Spurs and one pr oxbow stirrups all done in high relief with inlayed borders. Wish I had a better picture takin machine, this one is so old it has a little man inside chiseling the pictures out on a slate:)

Attachments

• MVC-011X.jpg
    MVC-011X.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 253
  • MVC-008X.jpg
    MVC-008X.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 236
  • MVC-009X.jpg
    MVC-009X.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 231
  • MVC-010X.jpg
    MVC-010X.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 231

hmw

Yes John, Here is a few more shots of a frontal view and the off side of the stirrups. Thank you for your kind words! Herman

Attachments

• MVC-012X.jpg
    MVC-012X.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 149
  • MVC-013X.jpg
    MVC-013X.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 149
  • MVC-014X.jpg
    MVC-014X.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 152
  • MVC-015X.jpg
    MVC-015X.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 154

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thank you for the additional photographs, Herman.
Beautiful stirrups, great inlay and braiding. Wonderful lettering on the display stand too.
Even though being brought up in the horse world I had never seen stirrups with a round contour foot rest, thank you for showing me.
Is this style comfortable to ride with?

hmw

Yea, John they are pretty comfortable, and pretty popular with the ranch cowboys and the cutters. These are what I learned to ride in, and have trouble keeping my foot in a wide tread stirrup. I would imagine a fella would have a hard time making weight with these on a flat, cause they weigh about a pound each! Also you dont want to loose your foot from one of these if a horse takes to bucking, they will play heck with your shins , not to mention a cracked nose when they really get to flopping around!

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful stuff Herman. I hope you do well in Alpine. I know you worked hard on these.
I am also proud to say that I spent a week with Herman Wells a couple of years ago with him teaching me the basics of spur and bit making. I feel I learned from one of the best. Thanks Herman

Jerry Gant

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work herman. I look forward to seeing them in person.

Maplesm, one of my favorite parts of going to the Trappings every year is spending some time in the Crystal. It's my kind of bar.

Stewart

hmw

Thanks guys for the positive words. Maplesm, I will sure make a circle thru the Crystal! I have been a patron of that establishment off and on since about 1977. Remember the old Stetson Club? Yes, Mike this is my first trip to the Trappings, and looking forward to meeting you guys in person. I havent been getting around much to these functions in the past due to other obligations, and I am really looking forward to this. Herman

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Herman,
Thanks for the information.
They do look a little substantial and weighty for the jockey business.
Bet they would get your attention if they were swinging loose, as you say.
Hope they, your bits and you are well received at Trappings.
Have a great show.
Best.

Latest posts

Sponsors