Transit of Venus .... today was your last chance for more than a century

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No this is not engraving, however it is topical. When Kepler predicted it in Renaissance times, and when Halley proposed using it as a way to get the most important missing link of the then state of knowledge about our Solar System, the history of this rare event figures large and important in humankind's quest to determine just how big was our immediate neighbourhood, ie the Solar System?

Very briefly, since the orbit of Venus is inclined at a small angle to the orbit of Earth, the 'Morning Star' usually passes above or below the Sun. This event happens in pairs eight years apart that are separated from each other by 105 or 121 years. The last transit was in 2004 and the next will not happen until 2117. Venus passes between the Sun and Earth, and can be seen as a small but distinct dark shadow in a telescope, which needs to be heavily filtered to reduce the Sun's light. If your eyesight is excellent you may just see it naked eye, but using sun filters.

Why was this important in the 18th century? Well, by observing the transit from places on Earth well separated by thousands of miles, and the time of the pass accurately noted, Euclid's geometry could determine our distance from the Sun, and hence the real size of the Solar System, since Kepler had worked out the ratio of the separation of all the known planets, but not the true distance. This meant doing the math on an extremely slender triangle. Whole books have been written on the history of the Transit, and I will stop here.

Today I was able to observe the Transit with my big Dobsonian telescope, and friends joined in with their instruments, here is a taste of the event:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/VenusTransit#

In this small town, neighbours, from age seven to seventy, passing down the quiet street were attracted by the instruments and welcomed into the yard to take a peek, and, by the way, peaks of baseball hats were turned backwards ( as is the fashion of the young) so as not to bump into the scopes.

Rod

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rod

Mary and I recognize that telescope and verandah :)

Yes, the transit of Venus has played an important part in science and also history of Navigation. It was that event that brought Cook down to our part of the world and seeing he was in the neighborhood, he should also chart these waters that were largely unknown.

Sadly, all we got in this small part of the Antipodes was this

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 124

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

If that is your back yard, I preferred it when you were firing up the barbie for my enjoyable visit in finer weather!

How true, Capt Cook was supposedly not allowed to open his sealed orders for further voyaging until the Transit was measured in warmer latitudes. Some say when he opened the sealed envelope it said, " Go find a nice snowy cold place for Andrew Biggs to set up shop, it has to be remote, 'cause otherwise that guy is going to take over the engraving world!"

What I neglected to have you do during your week in Mendocino with Mary, was to have you carve your initials on my workbench, or, wait a minute, was that you who scratched the rude comment of the surface of my telescope mirror?

Haste ye back!

Rod

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh, well- i'll catch it next time around...

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As some one who has now entered into the last quarter of my first century, I welcome and approve of your confidence, Mitch!

Let's meet up and watch the next one together?

best

Rod

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm only barely into the 3rd quarter of my first century, so sure, see you in 2117! (although i gotta say, while these minor astronomical events are scientifically interesting, they don't do much for me as a spectator. you want to reenact Venus crossing the sun? put on a welding helmet and move the head of a pin in front of a 200 watt lightbulb...)

Andrew Biggs

Hi Rod

Yes, good memories and Mary and I still talk about it. The whales were a real bonus. Next time I'll carve our initials in your work bench..........with deep relief and gold inlay :)

I thought you may like this. It was in this mornings newspaper.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Nisbet.jpg
    Nisbet.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 61

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice one, Andrew!

Mitch, you are a bit of a cheapskate, you must have a few of my Scottish genes? However fear not, here is a spectacular HD of the event by Nasa, combining many different filters that really show our Sun for what it is, a giver of life at 93,000,000 miles perhaps, but a hell hole up close... fascinating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9rM8ChTjY

best

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors