Transfer Question

aikisan

Hi all, what do you think is the best laser printer for transfer?. I often have the problem that the toner runs in the transmission with acetone. I use a Brother HL 2030. The transmission with damarlack I personally find not so good. I would therefore transfer with acetone and find the printer for the best results.
Thank you.

Greetings
Jens

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
BROTHER is the only brand that I have heard doesn't work for transfers. I have used HP and Canon printers with great success. Test before you buy to be sure or make sure you can return the printer if need be, but I've not seen an HP or Canon laser printer that does not work.

aikisan

Thanks Sam, I thought I made a mistake in the use of acetone:confused:
I will follow your advice.
Should I use pure acetone?. I read that nail polish remover would be better.

Thanks

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have two Brother Laser printers, a HL2035 and HL2130, they are great, cheap and when using bakery parchment and Dammar, great transfers

One thing I experienced is the brand of the bakery parchment, there are different brands of course, I used one brand for over one year and then decided to test another brand, and believe me, although cheaper, more clear to look true and much better transfer.

When you print on bakery parchment you first have to look if the toner is well printed, as the other bakery parchment some parts the bakery parchment didn't hold the toner. That way of course you never become a good transfer as you can only transfer toner that is on the bakery parchment.

The one brand from " Zeeman" is the best bakery parchment.

arnaud

Last edited:

aikisan

Thanks Arnaud, I have read your instructions on engraversstudio, it was great. But I have always had the problem to find the right time for the transfer. He was either too dry or too wet so that the results were not good. Or I had to repeat the process too often so the result was acceptable.

bblake

I agree with what Arnaud says above. I also use baking paper and a HP printer with 85A toner. This stuff works and it is the toner that does it. Of course there are other printers as well.

If I can guess, then I think it sounds like you might be applying your transfer too early. This will make it slip on the wet surface and be unsuccessful. Too dry is a problem also. It just will not take.

The solution (for me it is around 75/25 Naptha (or lighter fluid) and Damar) must be applied thinly and then you must wait until it is sticky. When this happens your transfers will be perfect. It takes some practice to find the right moment but it is not too hard and after that you will do it right almost every time.
Oh, and another thing you probably know, but all surfaces must be very clean. Metal...baking paper everything.
Good luck with it.

Edit. I just read the post above. You beat me to it. Yes, the correct moment is the trick.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Arnaud, I have read your instructions on engraversstudio, it was great. But I have always had the problem to find the right time for the transfer. He was either too dry or too wet so that the results were not good. Or I had to repeat the process too often so the result was acceptable.

I recently started to use the Winsor & Newton Dammar pure with great results.

arnaud

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brothers toner has a lower wax content. I assume the wax on bakery parchment makes up the difference?

Latest posts

Sponsors