Transfer printer

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Transfer printer (update after testing)

I was at Office Depot today and I found a cool little portable wireless printer.
It was a "HP Officejet 100 Mobil Printer"
I am wondering if anyone has tried to use one of these printers with either the transfer solution or Damar? If so did the transfer work.

I would also like to hear from any of you out there who has found a Small Portable Wireless Printer that works with either transfer solution or damar.

Key words here are Small, Portable, and Wireless.

Thanks,

Ray

Last edited:

bblake

HP Laserjet P1102 W (for wireless)

This works like a charm. I know others who use it as well. It is more about the toner which in this case is the HP 85A. This toner works fine on baking paper. I use it with a damar/naptha (or lighter fluid) mix but any good transfer solution will work.
Best thing about this HP unit is that it is very inexpensive. I'm not sure laser printers get a whole lot smaller, but you'd have to check the specs. I think it's pretty small.
Here's the hp link http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-LaserJet/CE658A but I think you can get it for much less than the stated price here.

bblake

I just realized that you probably meant portable as in battery only. The unit I described above is pretty compact but it does require mains power. Although some seem to have success with Inkjets, I cannot get results anywhere near what I can with a Laser.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bblake,

I am actually looking for something smaller than that. The HP 100 I found at Office Depot was only about 2" thick 12" long and about 8" deep. I will literally fit in my computer bag with my laptop. I am trying to put together a truly portable set up for on the road.

I ask the kid at OD if I could bring in a piece of film and print on it to see if that printer would work but he said no. I may have to buy it and if it doesn't transfer take it back. I hate to do that but without knowing if it will work I may have to resort to that.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Ray,

I 'think' it will work just fine. It's all to do with the ink they use.
Look to see if the ink cartidge has 'Vivera' on the box, as the new ones may have changed.

I've had three different HP printers, each using different numbered ink cartridges, and they've all work with Tom White's solution.

As long as you stick with the genuine inks, you should be good to go.

It looks a lovely little printer at 34.8cm x 17.5cm x 8.4 cm, so if you do buy one, please do let us know if it works.

All the best,

Jo

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Go back with film
Find somebody else to ask.
If they want the sale they will run a test print for you.
No is not a answer to a sales question.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray,

HP Deskjet 1000 J110 costs about $28 including the two ink cartridges, and I have found it is very good for transfer printing on Pictorico transparences. I use Tom's white magic transfer brew.

Don't buy one, buy at least two printers, as the cost of your next set of inks is more that the cost of the printer including its inks. It is very light, and made for recycling.

Another good advantage for us, is that it prints quite happily with only its black ink cartridge installed.

best

Rod

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I would warn against buying two printers for the ink. The cartridges they ship with have barely any ink in them.[/QUOTE]

So far the cartridge ( I only installed the black cartridge) that came with the first printer has lasted a year?

At this low price, and with good resolution, I keep mine for design transfer, and do bulk printing with a modest price laserjet printer. Design transfer uses miniscule quantities of ink

I do concede that some printers ship with low ink in the cartridges, but apparently not this model.

As we know, printers often are sold at below production cost .... it is a license to sell us high-priced cartridges.

It is a sad fact of life, that the high resolution of today's ink jet printers mean that the printing head must have super fine delivery, and so it can clog up sooner than older low res printers. Bad news for a Scotsman like me, but I have to yield to the fact that a high res printer is a consumer throw away item. So, given that fact, better to buy the full printer with its included cartridges, instead of just replacement cartridges.... for the same low price. Now you have a fresh unclogged printer to change over to when the first clogs beyond repair or cleaning?

So far so good with this model?

best

Rod

Last edited:

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, The reason I wanted that particular HP 100 mobile printer is to take it on the road. It is wireless and is the size of a good dictionary. I already have one that works int eh studio. I am looking for a travel printer.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey all I thought I should follow up on this and give everyone and update. I did buy one of these little printers today so I thought I would give everyone an update.

First off it makes great transfers using the Pictorico films. I think they are even a little better than I have been getting with my HP Photosmart printer. That part of it I am VERY satisfied over. I also am quite tickled about its compact mobile size.

However, My one complaint is I can't get the Bluetooth feature to work. I have to print with it using a USB cable. It works but one of the things that excited me about this one as a mobile printer was the bluetooth feature. I believe it is the printer and my laptop because when I search for bluetooth printers my laptop finds my wife's bluetooth printer but not this one. I followed all the directions and made sure the little printers Bluetooth button was pushed and the indicator light was lit up so......

I think I am going to take it back to Officemax on Monday and exchange it for another one.

Anyway, the important thing is that this little mobile printer makes great transfers using the pictorico premium OHP film.

Latest posts

Sponsors