Question: Tool's needed to engrave Bagpipe Mounts?

texasbagpiper

I'm new to engraving but not to metal work and working with my hands. I've been making musical instruments, mainly bagpipes, for about 15 years. I have decided that I want to start engraving the metal parts on my bagpipes which are mostly round ferrules that I roll and solder together from flat sheets as well as the keys used on some of the different types of bagpipes.

I'm looking for a powered machine that will handle this sort of work as well as engrave small signature plates that I will fix to the instruments.

My issue is I'm new to this and their are 3 main companies that people suggest and I don't know which one to go with. I really need the machine that vibrates the least in your hands as I had a carpal tunnel surgery 10 years ago and I don't want that coming back. I'm guessing that these things don't vibrate too much but in the video's I've seen they sound like they may do so a little, some more than others.

I found a thread on the group called "Bagpipe Silver" which shocases exactly what I want to do so I have an idea but wanted to get others opinions, especially from those who have used many different setups and can tell me which of them vibrates less. Maybe its not enough to be an issue, I'm as new as they get.

Thanks, Seth Hamon Bagpipe-Maker

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Humm
Since I have had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands, I use the Lindsay Palm Control airgraver . For about 10 or so years 4 plus hrs per day no issues, Excellent product YMMV
Also maybe Rod will chime in here he makes Wood flutes and is a excellent engraver

Last edited:

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Seth, I am friends with the fellow that posted that and he just made some wooden mandrels to fit the parts that he did. Ty also uses GRS equipment for the engraving.All of them work well and eventually it comes down to your preference. Which means that you should try as many as you can,if you can.There are a lot of makers-engravers in Texas and pretty sure one lives with in a days drive.
On another note the parts that Ty engraved,they were spun. Is that the traditional method of manufacture for these parts??

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I'm 130 miles SE near Buffalo, IF, you'd like to try out a "Palm graver".
Wrap a piece of paper around the piece to be engraved and cut to fit. This will give you a template in the flat.
Practice drawing your designs on paper, THEN, proceed to copper pipe, roughly the same diameters asyour fittings
Jeff- thekokopellicowboy@gmail.com

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All three work great. But don't just look at the hand piece. The sharpening systems also are important. You will find that the GRS quick release system and sharpening system doesn't easy go with the Lindsey collet and templates sharpening system. It would be best if you visit some of the guys near you. You are welcome to come visit me, but being outside of Austin I'm a little far. BTW before you go cutting on your pipes, practice a lot on copper pipe. It takes some hand coordination to do it well.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Seth, bagpipe fittings is really jumping into the deep end, curved surfaces are a great frustration and these fittings are really hard to bright cut on.

I use GRS equipment and absolutely love it. I have tried others but stick to the GRS, they also give great service and advice. I am in Australia so distance is always an issue if you need anything, they really look after me.

I suggest you try as many different systems as you can, the one you end up with is always the best and hard to change over to another, so I found anyway. Practice, practice, practice until you are cutting consistantly, then go to curved surfaces. Let me know if I can help you along the way, Ty.

Latest posts

Sponsors