Tools at the JCK show in Las Vegas

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
I have just returned from the JCk show in Las Vegas. A big thanks to all who stopped by the booth to visit.

while at the show I was able to get two full days in on the Leica A 60 carried by Tira at engraver.com. Mine will be shipped to me as soon as Tira returns from the show.

This scope is by far the best scope I have ever used for engraving and stone setting. i have been using the zeiss stemi 2000 for the last five years. I must say that this Leica is far better than the Zeiss for the work we do. it's every bit as bright has a much greater depth of field and a larger field of view as well. while working on several projects there the amount of refocusing as I moved workpieces was at least 5 times less. In some cases it wasn't ever necessary to refocus.

The light is fantastic daylight balanced and has 10 intensities. The Stand is absolutely the most stable and easy to move as anything I Have ever tried.

all of these features make it in my opinion the best scope for our industry. the fact that it can be purchased for about 10 percent less than the Meiji with light stand and objective lens if you even need one is a no brainier. the working distance without an objective is 4 1/2 inches. which is in most cases enough.

It's as if Leica designed the scope for our industry instead of the industry having to adapt the scopes to us.

Another tool that will be carried by Otto Frei is a micromotor from Jura . It is a stainless steel perfectly balanced handpiece with a slim front for easy grip. THE vibration while running is so slight that you have to touch the burr to know it is running.

the torque is unbelievable. Jura pushed at low speed 300 rpm so hard he bent the ring and the burr never stalled . If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes i would not have believed it. It is suppose to sell for under 1100 . IN my opinion this micromotor is far better than the nsk . IN Fact the nsk doesn't even come close.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
chris-

can you post links for this stuff?

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, please Chris...ditto Mitch. Can it be mounted to the Acrobat arm? This is one of the best features of the Meiji, the depth of field issue isn't. Fine for flatwork but start canting a gun action at higher magnification is a real pain in the butt as I'm forever refocusing even with only the slightest movement out of alignment.

Last edited:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Mitch, I don't think Otto frei has it up on the site yet. but the link to them is http://www.ottofrei.com/home.php for the scope it is http://www.engraver.com/leica-a60-f-engraving-and-stone-setting-microscope-with-flex-arm-stand-and-ring-light/

Marcus, The scope stand and light are only sold as a package. The stand is much more solid and doesn't shake like the acrabat. especially when it is extended out a long distance. The Leica stand extends a lot further so for barrels and such it is an advantage as well. The other thing with it is that you can move it to any position with just two fingers , no more loosening and re tightening everything. It never drifts downward as the acrabat does if it isn't tightened up enough. It has a wall mount or bench mount so if you are able to attach it to a wall instead of the bench you will further more prevent any shaking.

Chris

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,

That working distance without an objective lens is a bit too small for me, I have a long back and can keep work and eyes at a good no-stooped shoulders position by using a .3 objective, that takes the working distance to 10 inches.

Did you get a chance to see if the Leica's optics were still good with an objective lens added?

Perhaps Tira is the person to answer this? It does sound like a great scope!

best

Rod

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod,

I use it with the .50 and it seems to work fine. I like the extra working distance. You might consider it being a bit longer than most.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, does using a .50 objective reduce the depth of field?

I am seriously looking into getting one of these. I just explained to the wife that when you are sitting at a scope all day long it's a tool that is as much a part of you as your eyes are. As I get older I'm finding that I use higher magnifications and as we all know higher magnification means a loss of brightness and depth of field. Constantly refocusing is driving me mad as with gun actions I'm always changing plane and I'm starting to find the lack of light at high magnifications a bit of a strain. 2 years ago this was not a problem but I think my eyes must be changing since I passed 50.

For the vast majority of engravers engraving flatware a Meiji scope is more than adequate; it's a great workhorse of a scope. But when you are sitting and using a microscope all day, every day I think that the Leica A60 F sounds like a godsend especially as it also sounds like it's got a much wider field of view too.

The downside is the cost. It might be cheaper for me to import from the USA than to buy here.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,

The objective lens will increase the depth of field and the field of view. this is true of any scope. Realize thought that as yolu zoom in they both decrease proportionally. That being said this model still outshines any others.
The light issue is normal as we age. You should get checked for cataracts and if you have any diabetes it could also contribute.
This scope like my zeiss has great light gathering ability and isn't as effected as much as the Meiji when zooming. I also think that a better light for your scope will help. I went to fiber optic ring light so i could adjust accordingly. The Leica has one of the best light I have ever used. It is a daylight balanced multi led. It has 10 settings. It has a diffuser that gives the light very even dispersion. there isn't any of the sometimes problematic spots as many led light have. It has plenty of light for the distances needed with the increased distance from an objective lens.

I know I sound like a commercial for this scope but it is exciting to finally use something that seems to have been designed for what we do rather than always having to adapt the tool to our use. Marcus you won't be sorry if you purchase one. I agree that the Meiji is a good quality scope but there isn't any comparison between the two. Instead the comparison would be more with the Zeiss scopes. The technology that Leica uses for this model is patented and they only use it on scopes that cost 25,000 USD and up. They decided to use it on this lower cost scope to compete with all the lower cost Chinese scopes that are used in the electronics field. Leica was losing a huge share in that market and answered with this model. So you see that competition is always good for the consumer. Now we have a very affordable scope with great optics that works in our profession. That's why they have Tort laws.

Chris

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus,

The objective will increase the depth of field and field of view (width) on the scope. I use mine with either the .63 or .75 objective (I go back and forth) and don't see any difference in clarity, light or distortion. In fact the view is clear from edge to edge with NO distortion or fuzz. To give you an example of depth of field with the .63 objective.... If you put a US quarter down on the top of your vise laid flat and then hold a second quarter perpendicular to the bottom quarter so if forms an upside down "T" the top knurled edge of the top quarter and the face of the bottom quarter will both be in perfect focus at the same time. It stops a lot of fuss. The .50x objective will have more depth of field than that. The stand stays where you put it and moves in a well balanced way like a surgical tool. It has a 19.5 inch (49.3cm) travel so I can walk up to my bench and pull it up easily to inspect something while I'm standing and then I can sit and just pull it into place. It also extends way off my bench so I can easily pass gun barrels or motorcycle exhaust pipes underneath while rotating and still not hitting the bench (my vise is on a crate on the floor at that point and not attached to the bench). The scope can not be retrofitted to the acrobat stand due to its square-ish type body. It will fit into other scope stands if you take the ring (bonder arm) off the stand and plug this Leica into it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Steveareno

Hi Tira and Chris,

I am considering getting the Leica scope set-up and I’m use to using a .50 objective lens, would I be better off with the .63 for focus or is the .50 fine? How much tilt does the scope and stand allow? I set my vise and turntable at about 30-35 degrees toward me and that is a big consideration, is it adjustable that way?

Thanks
Steve Shepherd

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira, is there any way of connecting the headrest from the Acrobat to the Leica stand. I'm must admit the headrest really helps with my neck problems and I'd be loathed to see it go. Currently looking into getting one over here. Unfortunately it seems that if we buy our scopes from the US, Leica Europe won't honour any warranty claims if required which is a bit of a pain.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steveareno,

The .50x has a 250mm working distance (9.8") and the .63x has a 185mm working distance (7.2"). Both will focus just fine. The other difference will be the magnification. To get the overall magnification you have to multiply the magnification by the objective so the .63 will have more overall magnification than the .5x objective.

The scope head has an adjustment so that you can tilt it at any angle you would find comfortable. The eye tubes are different on the Leica than on other scopes. These eye tubes enter the scope at 38 degrees instead of the more common 45 degrees so that you start out by looking more straight ahead and not so much down.

I have a 10 day return policy so if you get a scope and it does not work out for you with your adjustments then I will take it back assuming it is undamaged and in the original packaging. :)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, there is no way that I can think of to put a head rest on the Leica. However, as I explained to Steveareno, the eye tubes are more relaxed at 38 degrees and this really does help with neck strain. I can't speak for how you work or for how important that aspect of the stand is for you. I never have used the head rest on my acrobat even from the beginning so I didn't have any trouble adjusting to the Leica. The point of focus for the Leica is also slightly different from the Meiji. On the Meiji it seems that your eyes have to be quite close to the glass for the focusing sweet spot. On the Leica they are engineered back a way like on a rifle sighting scope. You don't have to be right on top of the scope to see.

As for the Leica Europe warranty, I can't speak to that. I have had a lot of scopes out across the world at this point and I've only had one come back at all. That was handled easily and quickly, but it was from the US.

Steveareno

Hey Silver

You must have said something to Stan when you guys went fishing because the next day he asked me if I needed a new scope “Leica” and asked about the cost. Well he’s off to Canada fishing for 10 days and I think if it’s a good trip I’ll be getting that scope (A60-F). Thanks!
Do you use an objective lens on yours? Not sure if I need that.

Received Lee’s book and DVD, thanks for that too. You have to come around more often, Stan really listens to you and then I get all kinds of cool stuff.

Steve Shepherd

jura

hi chris. it was great to see you, tira and jordy at jck show. i had a lot fun during the show. already received a lot of orders. btw tira's leica is really good.

Latest posts

Sponsors