tool making and satisfaction therefrom

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It never fails to amaze and amuse me the satisfaction I get from making my own tools from scratch, rather than just buying whatever. Now, I'm NOT talking rocket science here, or anywhere near the caliber (ha, ha) of work shown on most of these threads, but even the simple satisfaction of finding the proper material and cutting brass pins for a jig is amazing (obviously, it's a bit quiet around here :) lol!)
Whatever it takes, eh?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Cloudy

You are so right!!!

John B taught me how to make many of my own tools and how to "think" about the tool that needed making. He would send me one and then I'd make it for myself. It opened up a whole new world for me.

There is a great deal of satisfaction in looking at the work knowing you made the small tool or jig to make it possible.

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Cloudy, you're officially a tool geek! :beerchug: I used to machine my own chisel handles with brass ferrules and then grind my own gravers from discarded industrial hacksaw blades. Satisfying? Absolutely! :banana:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also have several tools, even machines.
For example I have made a polishing machine that uses steel bullets.
I have mounted a rotating wheel on an eclectic motor that was used to open the windows in orangery and had the right speed. Using some rubbers I cut from a inner tube I mount a octahedral jar.
It works already for more than 25 years. Indeed, one loves these thing more if they work well and are self-made
It works not 220volt but 110, so I even have to use a transformer, unless I want it to turn a bit faster
arnaud :D

Attachments

• DSC00687.jpg
    DSC00687.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 202

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like making stuff out of trash or junk. bed frames for example, make excellent benches, machine stands, cart frames, unlimited uses. same with pipe from the junkyard. gravers- gads, many possibilities there. esp with jb's tube trick and old dental burs. imagination is the only limiting factor.

J Saville

Elite Cafe Member
There is something about making your own tools that embodies sort of a "pioneer spirit".
Besides, I read somewhere that tool making is what seperates us from the other beasts.

When I was younger my mother told me that necessity was the mother of invention, any time I wanted something we couldn't afford. How glad I am that I learned that Lesson.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I get the same feeling of satisfaction when making useful things from discarded materials and making gravers the John B. way. I like using the gravers made from the carbide aircraft drills better than the 3/32" gravers because they are so quick sharpening.

I have turned numerous tool handles from oak, apple, and maple from fallen and cut trees, and various hardwoods salvaged from discarded furniture. Then I made ferrules from discarded ski poles and engraved them. Some people think it is strange, but I think it is fun, and I get more satisfaction than I had in many years of working in the corporate IT world!:D

Metalshaper

Very pro looking slotting tool Jonathan. That's cool.
Darcy:)

Thanks Darcy,

How's the FB project coming along? I replied to your PM, but have been working for the "Boss" < My wife :) >
and taking care of things around the house..My best to You and Yours!

Respect Always
Jonathan/Metalshaper

D.Ellis

Thanks Darcy,

How's the FB project coming along? I replied to your PM, but have been working for the "Boss" < My wife :) >
and taking care of things around the house..My best to You and Yours!

Respect Always
Jonathan/Metalshaper
Slowly. Other things getting in the way again. I'll keep you posted.
Darcy:)

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I agree making tools can satisfying even if just from a $$ point of view, especially if it's a one time use situation. I made a wrench for a one time job when rebuilding my transmission (hope it's a one time job). The wrench was needed to tighten one nut, that's it, and cost $30 if you bought it. I made it from 1/8 scrap steel and a piece of angle iron, I used it once and the pieces went back into the scrap pile waiting for its next purpose.

d.soileau

when i was in the army and about to deploy to iraq we needed new hinges for our tylers. the parts were not orderable, so i scrounged through the nuts and bolts and welder 4 nuts togrther to make barrels for the hinges so the trucks could pass inspection. my commander was both shocked and impressed. was no work of art but it worked.

Metalshaper

More home mades

[/IMG]

Well, here are my small chasing gravers < BE Kind! > made from 1/8" square HSS lathe bits.
Handles are some aluminum rod stock I had in the shop. One is a 90 degree , Middle a chisel and the other a
120 degree ,, well more or less??? on my own, making this up as I go.. < Have another set made from heavy 3/8" HC rod,, kinda like a die sinkers tools >

So having no sense of direction,, I'm making great time !!!;)

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan