Tool List for Beginners (new thread)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is what I will post in the Tips Archive. Once it's finished and posted we can refer engraving newbies to this list, and of course they can ask any questions pertaining to the list in our main forum.

• Each of the startup lists below should include a workbench, lighting, and a proper chair. See our WORKBENCH THREAD for ideas and to see what our members use. Twin bulb fluorescent task lights with flexible arms have been used by engravers for many years.

• An engraving class will greatly reduce the learning curve and get you up to speed very quickly.

• Spend some time browsing The Engraving Glossary for photos and detailed explanations on most things pertaining to our art.

The following books and video are recommended by our members:

Art of Engraving by JB Meek - The springboard of many of today's hand engravers. Some of its information may be a bit outdated, but it's still worth having.
Engraving Historic Firearms By John Schippers - Modern book containing many how-tos. Highly recommended by many members.
Design books by Ron Smith and Lee Griffiths
Video on hand sharpening gravers

---------------------

HAND TOOLS STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Chasing hammer
2 square graver blanks
1 wooden or steel chisel handle
1 mushroom type hand graver handle
Medium and fine whetstone combo
Copper, steel, and brass practice plates
Bench vise

UPGRADES: Rotating engraver's vise, Optivisor, stereo microscope, sharpening fixture or template

---------------------

LOW BUDGET POWER ASSIST STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Ngraver flex shaft handpiece (requires Foredom type motor) or GRS System 3 (requires air compressor)
2 square graver blanks
Medium and fine whetstone combo
Bench vise

UPGRADES: Rotating engraver's vise, Optivisor or stereo microscope, sharpening system or templates

----------------------

BETTER POWER ASSIST STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Basic system by GRS, Lindsay, or Enset (see their websites for basic models and prices)
Air compressor
2 square graver blanks
#40 flat graver
Rotating engraver's vise
Sharpening system or templates
Stereo microscope w/ring light

UPGRADES: Centering vise or turntable base, silent air compressor, additional square graver blanks and additional flat graver sizes

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
If possible......Pics of these tool lists laid out on a bench, would really be helpful...
Mrth Has a Pic of his bench tools, along with numbers of each tool that corosponds with a numbered list..........
I would copy & paste these pics, but I'll let Paolo do it.. :)

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Looks OK...

Except, ummmm - the bench itself isn't on the list?

The engraving area lighting?

Even the chair matters a bit (a lot) - if you spend enough hours in it!

Brian

P.S. Maybe put a permanent reference to the bench images thread in there?

Last edited:

fjkratky

I might suggest adding a engraving class in the power assist up grade. I feel it cuts the learning curve extensively if a person could afford it.

Sam

Staff member
CJ, Brian, and Frank: Thanks for your excellent suggestions. I added a workbench link to the top of the page and mentioned lighting and chair as well. I would rather not use photos at time as there are plenty of bench setups to see in the workbench thread.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think the thread will get its greatest use and provide the greatest service to those who are wanting to try engraving for the first time. They should be told to find an instructor first if possible or a friendly engraver. I would think if you're old enough to engrave you've experienced disappointment and failure, I think the greatest effort should be made in this thread is to make their first experience a positive one if at all possible. This means they need to understand how to use and what to expect from the tools they obtain and the results they can expect at their level of experience. I believe art and design are paramount in the long run but that should be left to the individual and a positive first experience should be the main goal for the thread.

Bob

Sam

Staff member
Bob: Excellent ideas. The purpose of this tool list guide for beginners (not a bad name now that I think about it), is to answer the same question which we get asked over and over again ("what tools do I need?"), and one which some members have told me they're tired of answering because quite often they get no response from the person who posted the question. This ends up with serious beginners possibly not getting a helpful response, and I would hate to see that happen. So consider this Tool List Guide for Beginners to be the first guide, and then maybe we can expand on the idea and do one for classes, how to use the tools, etc. Yes, we want it to be a positive experience for sure.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i must agree with all the above. so many trying something for the first time, simply give up if the first experience is negative.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I don't think many even with the best of help get more than a few sparkling lines and as many nasty slips but if they understand its expected and that it is not going to be an instant success but just the first step in a difficult but personally rewarding experience it will or should be a positive one. They just need to know the basics and not have great expectations so it's not frustrating and humiliating when those things that go wrong do so.

I see no modern 'how to' books or DVD's, I know you have a few out there Sam, do none cover starting out? I have Mr. Schippers book but have only looked though it so I can't comment other than it seems to cover a great deal. I've tried to read Mr. Meeks book but my eyes cross and mind wanders. I keep telling myself to buy some of the new DVDs but always seem to find a way to send my play money on tools or supplies.

Bob

Andrew Biggs

I see no modern 'how to' books or DVD's

Modern or old doesn't matter. The actual techniques have remained the same for centuries.

The 3 DVD's that will demonstrate the techniques and processes are.......

1. Hand plus hammer and chisel (plus hand sharpening).......The 3 set Lynton McKenzie DVD's (can also be applied to air assist)

2. Air assist...........The GRS Don Glaser Engraving DVD

3. Sharpening with fixture ..........Sam Alfano's DVD

They are old but still relevant. Then it is a matter of applying all the information with a lot of practice.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Like the kid said, "why didn't that Shakespeare guy speak English". "The times they are a changing" some guy named Bob.

Bob

rsharrard

Just wanted to add a plug here, as a beginner and not having the means to get to a class or someone near by to visit, that Ray Cover's Basic Engraving DVD set was quite helpful because he spent a good portion of the DVD going around his work center, showing the tools he uses, and took the the time to explain what they were, their purpose, and why they were important to him, because that is how he made his living. Then he proceeded to show how they were used, and his teaching technique didn't put you to sleep either.

There all good, Chris DeCamilus, Sam Alfano, etc... and most of you have tips and trick available, either in video form or doccuments to read, with pictures, on your own websites for free.

All one has to do is a little research through the archives and there is all kinds of information.

So I also would like to thank all of you for sharing your time and experiance on this and other website forums....! Robin

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,

I would like to suggest a link to my engraving glossary. If the beginner goes to that site they will have pictures and explanations of things like what a square graver is and so forth. Many of these folks don't even know what a graver is. One guy asked about the "needles" we use to engrave.

Thanks,
Roger

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I would think that rather than just the whetstones, a template, similar to the Lindsay ones is needed. It only needs to be one, a 120 or 105 would cover it., and they aren't that expensive, but give easily duplicatable, consistent angles.
My experience with hand sharpening is that it just was never good enough. I have the quick change GRS system, a White power hone and an old GRS hone, and wonder how I got along without them.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

I would like to suggest a link to my engraving glossary. If the beginner goes to that site they will have pictures and explanations of things like what a square graver is and so forth. Many of these folks don't even know what a graver is. One guy asked about the "needles" we use to engrave.

Thanks,
Roger

Good idea Roger. I was hoping I'd get some input from you :) I will ad your link. It's definitely a valuable asset.

Sam

Staff member
I've made a few changes and I think it's nearing completion. Thanks for all of your help and excellent suggestions :)

j.c.

If you have found your way to this site, you have a desire or at least an interest to become an engraver.

As a beginner do not buy tools more than the following at present

Stripped down basics:

A flat piece of metal and something to spin it around on… a wood block to set the piece of metal on will suffice.

A pointy piece of steel with a handle of some kind on it and a stone of some kind to keep the pointy piece of steel…pointy. A pencil, a table and chair to sit in, and a few books will suffice at present.

I should mention that there are way more books on the very broad subject of "engraving" than have been spoken about in this thread, NONE are irrelevant or outdated. Search them out if you want to become an engraver.

Now that you have all of the above simply…have at it! You do NOT require a pile of expensive tools to see if you even WANT to learn to engrave.

After you have inflicted many minor injuries upon your hands and mind and invented at least a dozen new swear words and you still have the insane desire to continue in this field…either continue on with yourself at the helm or take a class.

If you wish/need to take a class, find an instructor that can teach you whatever discipline of this art you wish to learn. The style of engraving you choose to learn will have the most impact on the tools you will require.

Hopefully you will have learned in the class what you need and been provided with the opportunity to try out ALL the various systems/tools that are for sale out there. If your class/teacher does not provide ALL the fancy tools to try before you buy…find a different class/ teacher!

Doesn’t get much simpler or less expensive than that! :biggrin:

j.c

Sam

Staff member
I've made the TOOL LIST FOR BEGINNERS as a sticky thread in the Tips Archive. We can now point newbies to that thread. :happyvise: Thanks again for your help and suggestions :thumbsup:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Great job Sam, many new engravers will benefit from your effort.

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors