tool handle questions and stuff

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I could be wrong, but I think that sharpening fixture is designed for use with a power hone, not whetstones.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well it is designed to use with the powerhone, but of course you can use the dual angle on a stone, sandpaper or a diamond lap by hand too.
The only thing the powerhone does is turning

If you want a powerhone, easy to build one yourself using a drilling machine, or from a old turntable like this. :biggrin:

arnaud

Last edited:

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
any recommended stones? Yes I'm in Arkansas - home of the Arkansas Stone - but they're always the $1 variety. :D

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Newton Pens.

The fixture can be used with stones, but it requires more time that way. You also has to be careful not to unintentionaly change the angle of the fixture while you are grinding, which is easy to do if you get tired of the work and start hurrying and cutting corners (figuratively speaking ;) ). However, the dual angle fixture is a great investmet, and does pay for itself afther a while. Remember that if you are using round gravers these hav to be grinded to fit in the fixture so that they stays the same way every time you sharpens.

The handle you are looking at is intended for square gravers so if you want to use rouind ones you may have to grind them down to fit the handle first. But I musst say that if I were you I would have purchased a different handle. Why not go for the QC-system instead? You can get a handle that has a shape that is close to the one you wanted at first, but at a third of teh cost and the QC tool holders cost about 7 $. http://www.grstools.com/tool_handles/004-933.html & http://www.grstools.com/graver-accessories/

A second reason to go with the QC system is that the QC tool holders has round holes, which fits your round gravers well, I suppose. They also eliminate the need to grind your gravers to fit in the dual angle fixture, as you can get an adapter ans just fit the QC tool holders directely into the sharpening fixture.

When it comes to the actual sharpeing I recomend you to take a look at this link: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?14579-My-homemade-stuff&highlight=homemade+stuff
It descries how to make a sharpener yourself, at low cost, as well as my own system for graverhadles.

Best of luck.

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
thanks for the suggestions. I haven't bought anything yet - getting closer though.

:)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want a powerhone, easy to build one yourself using a drilling machine, or from a old turntable like this. arnaud

now that you mention it, phonographic turntables were built to run very smoothly, are usually somewhat variable speed (33 1/3, 45, & occasionally 78 rpm), and can be had for a song. hmmm......

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I bought it all today. :) I can't wait for it to come in. I just need to get some good stones, or a turn table... or...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hey, i have this ridiculous notion, why not go thru the forum , as all newbies should. all the old "timers" resort to this. is an excellent reference tool. you'll find virtually all your questions answered there. including some excellent fotography !

Latest posts

Sponsors