Tira in GRS Featured Photos

Herman Knives

She did an amazing job on titanium! I am very impressed especially the gold inlay work. A well deserved review.

SEngraver

Hi Tira M,
Congratulations on your achievement.

SE:tiphat:
ps.You also have an great website.

Herman Knives

Tira, How did you undercut that hard titanium for the inlays? I have cut the 6al4v and quit working on it it is just to hard and springy.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Tira: I'm Working On A Rather Large Titanium Folder Right Now! Thought I Would Go Crazy Last Night Until I Tried Something Out Of Desperation. I was Experiencing A Lot Of Tool Tip Breakage Until I Took Some Burr Lube I Bought 15 Years Ago From Rio Grande And Dabbed Some Of It On The Area I Was Cutting And Pretty Much Submerged The Tool In Lube. It Was Like A Miracle The Tool Cut Like I Was Cutting 416 Stainless. I Finished The Other Half Of The Knife In Half The Time It Took To Do The First Half, Even Though I Was Using A Lube , Dipping The Tool. This Was A Lesson I Learned A Long Time Ago As A Machinist That Any Tool Cuts Better When It Is Lubricated Properly. Especially When Your Cutting 6Al4V Titanium Which Is Pretty Unforgiving Stuff, As It Will Work Harden As You Are Cutting It. I Hope This Info Is Of Some Value To All You Out There.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Tira: I Also Need To Tell Everybody I Was Using A 110Degree Tool, With A 55 Degree Face Angle ,17.5 Degree Heel Angle, Parallel Grind . I Was Doing Shading On Scroll And Was Using Micro 100 Fine Grain Carbide. I Was Also Using C-Max In A 105 Degree, And A 120 Degree C-Max.

Latest posts

Sponsors