Critique Request Thoughts on this scroll

Cameronseiger

Give me some thoughts on how this scroll has turned out. This is the first time I’ve ever drawn a scroll. Some of the leaf elements are a bit misshaped. I’m trying to get a feel for that “flow”. Any areas where I completely messed it up? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 513822A2-BE0A-4E9E-BACF-332881EC18EA.jpeg
    513822A2-BE0A-4E9E-BACF-332881EC18EA.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 94

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
I feel your are getting ahead of yourself a bit. Start with simple shapes and such. Sam Alfano has a great video on how to draw scrolls. It is well worth checking out. But without be able to draw the basic shapes that build up a good scroll, you will never be able to draw up anything "great". Designing scrolls is something everyone struggles with, especially when starting out.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I applaud your effort but you're way ahead of yourself. Stick with some very basic scrolls first. Learn to draw a perfect spiral for the backbone of the scroll. You must get that right first because if you don't, nothing else will matter.

Cameronseiger

I applaud your effort but you're way ahead of yourself. Stick with some very basic scrolls first. Learn to draw a perfect spiral for the backbone of the scroll. You must get that right first because if you don't, nothing else will matter.
This thread has been quite humbling. Last two days have practiced basic curves. Seeing some progress. Thank you for the input!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good try, but do what Sam said.
Slow down a little and draw left and right hand scroll backbones.
Also practice drawing the outline shapes of your leaf elements.
With practice your muscle memory will develop and thing will get smoother and easier.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yer first problem: scroll spine has bumps or flat spots. as sam mentioned, concentrate on doing aa a'perfect spine". an imperfect spine will lead to a design that's far less than what is expected of an engraver. practice is the only answer. baby steps bringeth reward.

Latest posts

Sponsors