Thermoloc - advice on usage

Tundrwd

Have a bit of Thermoloc on the way. I'm wondering how to use with the "standard" jaws on a Magna Block vise? Use the larger pins and just get the Thermloc "wrapped" up on the pins?

GRS sells jaws for Thermoloc, which look nice, any ideas for something nearly as effective, but less expensive? (something DIY?)

Or other ideas from those who've "been there, done that"?

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It doesn't stick to plastic bags, so what I do is cut some pieces from a clear plastic bag, and when the thermoloc is heated and pliable, I cover the object I need to protect with the plastic, then mold it into my vise with light pressure on the jaws.

Once the thermoloc cools, I peel the plastic off and have a set of protective pieces molded to the object to engrave.

It takes some careful planning, and since I don't have a heat gun, you must consider getting the object out of the thermoloc as well.

It is AWESOME material and I use it often.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use it all the time, but I bought the starter kit and the form. Here is the text from the catalog on the form.

"Use this Thermo-Loc Form Block to create custom workholding fixtures that allow flexibility in a holder. The many smaller cavities are used without the divider to create fixed holders for items such as pendants or fobs. With the divider, making a flexible hinged holder is easy! This allows even longer items such as bracelets to be held securely and then engraved without chatter.
Options for using this block include: • Make a workholding piece without the aluminum divider • Make a workholding piece with the aluminum divider to create a flexible hinge
These custom workholding fixtures will work with most engraving blocks and vises."

I recommend it strongly.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The most important thing to remember is to have an exit plan. For small pieces put the blade of a screwdriver under the item while hot. When you are done you can use the screwdriver to pop out the item.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use it all the time for jewelry engraving and stone setting.

I try to keep a piece big enough that I can form a t shaped tab under the item. I then put it in the vice and close it down some so the tab flattens some. Then when it's totally cool and hard you can crank down on it so it holds firmly.

For a visual image the alum shellac pad fixture GRS sells with their benchmates and vice fixtures. Essentially this is the shape I'm trying to obtain for flatish items.

For heating it, I use a deWalt heat gun from lowes that's designed for paint stripping. It's under $100, and works very well.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I also use a heat gun designed for paint removal that Harbor Freight sales. If I remember right I bought it on sale for around $8.
The starter kit is well worth buying. This stuff will help a lot with holding thing in place so you can work on them.

Beathard is correct. Have a plan on how you will get it off later. I like the idea of a screwdriver. I will have to try that. Thanks.

Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use 2 varnished boards. once a chunk gets nukked, i lay the chunk on a board and can roll out pieces as thin as sphagetti. i think it was tira that first mentioned the microwave. only downside to that, you cant reheat that way to free the part.

Andrew Biggs

Thermolock is great!!!

You can make all sorts of jigs with it and I use it just about every day for holding watch parts. Plastic supermarket bags are great for keeping pieces apart. Melt it onto hard wooden or steel blocks with a heat gun. Nuke in the microwave on a teflon pad for large pieces. Use the GRS Form Block to make reusable jigs.........the list is endless.

One word of caution, and you will do this at least once ................don't overheat in one hit. Use small 20 - 30 second cycles because if you overheat it then it becomes very sticky and very hot and it adheres to your fingers extremely well!!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Did not know about the plastic bag trick. I just use a cheap travel size hair dryer I picked up at local dollar store for about 10 bucks. Melts it fine.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use it all the time for jewelry engraving and stone setting.

I try to keep a piece big enough that I can form a t shaped tab under the item. I then put it in the vice and close it down some so the tab flattens some. Then when it's totally cool and hard you can crank down on it so it holds firmly.

Sorry, this is what I was talking about can someone post a youtube video on how to do this

Carlos De La O III

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I use it often. I made a bunch soft and pushed into a small jelly container, the kind for toast from a diner, with a big low dome blob on top. I then reheat it in water, in the microwave, until it is just soft enought to position a piece on the top, then put it into my vice with minimal pressure, to keep the jelly container shape underneath.
Didn't know about the heat gun trick, so the last time I ended up trying to cut it out and ended up with stitches. Be smart...learn from this forum!

Latest posts

Sponsors