Thermo lock

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

I have never tried thermo lock so it will be my first time,

I read that the best way to melt is to use a micro oven, but I really wonder what will happen if I put it under fire ( coming from a blowtorch ) directly ?

Will it work or will just ruin it ?

I don't have a seperated micro oven and my wife doesn't let me use the one in the kitchen :biggrin:

Any one tried to melt it under fire ?

Best Regards

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've used a heat gun for spot softening it to make corrections and adjustments, but I don't think you can melt a blob of it with a flame. It will soften in boiling water, but it's really messy that way.

It comes with a teflon pad so it won't make a mess. If my neat-freak fussy wife let's ME melt thermoloc in the microwave, yours should too!

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I always use a microwave. Nothing to it. I cant imagine anything happening that would damage anything. Just don't let in too long as it will be to hot to handle. I do think that over time using a microwave causes it to brake down and it becomes sticky. I wonder if anyone has had the same experience.

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Since I dont have a heatgun and the microwave is 2 stairs down and then up again. I have resorted to using a flame to melt the Thermo lock. I only use small bit of Thermo lock. So I don't know what will happen if you need a lot. But be sure to move your flame constantly or else you risk burning it. You will see it starts to bubble and turn brown and then black. With smoke starting between brown and black. Bubbles are still ok, turning brown is not. But as far as I have seen is the Thermo lock still usable.

So it will work just keep the flame moving.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

Put it in boiling water, softens nicely.
Hot plate and a small pot.
AirAmp

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On Craigslist, Facebook or yard sales you can usually find a microwave for $10-$15. I did this for my shop and now can reheat my coffee too!

Andrew Biggs

We are very, very , very lucky with the resources we have available here in the USA.

Yes you are. :)

Here is the GRS instructions for thermoLoc http://www.grstools.com/PDF/LIT-230_ThermoLoc.pdf

I don't think a blow torch is the way to go............heating with heat gun or microwave is so much better.

But heat it gently and gradually build the heat up. This stuff can get very sticky and hot and burn your fingers. But don't worry.......everyone does it at least once or twice before they get the hang of it :)

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i disliked forming mine with my fingers. i would heat lumps of the tloc with a blo dryer. then i would roll it into sphagetti strands, and as thick as 1/2". i would roll it between 2 varnished boards. most of mine is pre-rolled and ready to go in a short time. perhaps ( i've never tried this)- heat a metal plate with a torch and try rolling it while warm enough to form around the piece you want to engrave

Sponsors