The trics and traditions of the trade

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
For the last few months I have been reading the forum almost daily, and every now and then I have made a post or a reply. I enjoy reading your posts, and I enjoy seeing your beatutiful work. I also apreciates the sense of compainanship between the members.

However, I musst say that the thing that impresses me the moust is your willingness to share your trics, your experienses, and even a story or two. I belive this to be verry important for the development of the next generation of engravers. The fact that they can get a few trics right away, and that they can see that it isn't only they that struggles in the beginning.

So again, passing information on to the next generation is essensial for the survival of the trade. And if it isn't done we risk loosing valuable knowledge, and a bit of our culture.

I am 19 years old, and I realy enjoy working with my hands. I was also lucky enough to get to work with an elder knifemaker to learn his trade and his secrets. When I asked him if I could learn from him he had allready desided to lay down his work, but he agreed to start up again for a summer to teach me :biggrin:. The summer came and passed and I made tree knives together with him, all in a local and traditional design.

Here you have a link to a picture of them:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--KOsTG_CqyQ/UDSWp2XOfXI/AAAAAAAANQQ/weAGiqQjcfE/s1600/IMG_0964x.jpg

The one in the middle and the one to the left is made out of cows horn, and they are all so called Totenkniver, or Toten-knives (to the germanspeaking: nothing to do with death, only the name of a place in Norway.) The old knifemaker who agreed to teach me was the last one to make the traditional cow horn knife, and if he had stopped then it would have ment the end of a two houndred year old tradition. But as I said, I was lucky enough to learn from him, all his tricks and things he had discowered during 35 years of making thise knives. It was indeed amasing, to see the shaking in his hands stopping for a few seconds when he drove a file ower the silver, or seeing him beat metal plates into the exact shape he needed it to be.

My point is: Share, and seek to learn!

My second point is to the people learning: Don't forget were your knowledge comes from. Show gratitude and respect. When I was learning about knifemaking I had told myself not to disagree with anything my master said, and even thoug i ofthen wanted to, his way always worked. Two and a half year has passed, and I have of course changed some things to fit my own style, but I still see my master reguarly and I have gotten to the point were I also have got something to contribute with. He also kept on making knives afther that summer, and he still does.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. :rolleyes: :hammer:

Last edited:

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for the story. I am always happy to see more people my age that get involved with crafts. Unfortunatly, alot of my friends are really interested in what I do, but when I offer to help them get started and make a knife or two with them, they back out... Saying that it's to difficult. Is it fear of failing? I don't know..

If your master you would be interested in writing a guest article for the Swedish Knifemakers Associations magazine about these style of knives, how to make them or just the tradition and stories behind them. It would be really interesting I'm sure.

Unfortunatly, with the coming of the Mora we have lost alot of our local tradition regarding knives here in Sweden...

//Daniel Qvarnström

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Arnaud, glad you liked them.

Jörmungandr, I could not agree more. Younger people back away from the old trades, and that is realy becoming a problem for our culture. I think it has something to do with not wanting to stand out, and not wanting to seem wierd. It realy is a shame. That beeing said, however, I am pleased to say that where I live I am not the only one at my age to work with my hands. My younger brother has for the last two years been making knifeblades. Tree-layer blades, meaning that the blades is forged from two layers of iron with a layer of carbon-steed in the middle. And at the local knifeclub we have one member that is 22 and one that is 10. that is four below the age of 30, and that is a pretty good count in a club with no more than 20 members.

Still, this is a problem all ower Norway, and Sweeden to I'm sure, and the leaders of the knife-union in Norway says that our greatest threat is old age.

And funny you mentioned Mora, because they have their role in the history of the Toten-knife as well. The thing is, Toten was once the biggest producer or knives in Norway, and during the 19th century it was made between 30 000 and 70 000 knives a year. The knifemakers made all sorts of knives, but thay all had the barrelshaped handle that you can see on the tree I made. Mora knives are moddeled from the Toten-knives, and when they started their production the number of knifemakers in Toten dropped down to about ten ore twelve.

I don't dislike Mora, but I am a little sad because of the effect they have on our society. A Moraknife is so cheap that people doesn't even sharpen their blades anymore, they just buy a new one, and my master actually was told once by a man that he should reduce his price because the Moraknives were way cheaper.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Daniel,

Could you please explain what you meant by "the coming of the Mora"?

Brian

Sure Brian, in the beginning of 1900 (I think, just typing from memory) a production was started on general all-purpose knives in a town called Mora. They where and still are very functional, good steel and always had a good reputation in that you could get them very sharp easily.

It was so cheap and good that it took over, I assume that there were as with everywhere else, a tradition in knifemaking with different styles. But very little has survived and is still alive and breathing in Sweden today. Which is not only a bad thing since we do produce very beautiful knives in a rather special style here in Sweden, we made our own style here in recent times. But instead of having alot of different regions of knives, we have Swedish style and then Saami style.. This is a bit of a simplification, but I think you get the point.

And like Terrezar says, now it is so cheap (and still quite good) that alot of companies just throw them away when they're dull.

I do not dislike them either, I think I have about ten of them.. But yeah...

//DQ

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Arnaud, glad you liked them.

Jörmungandr, I could not agree more. Younger people back away from the old trades, and that is realy becoming a problem for our culture. I think it has something to do with not wanting to stand out, and not wanting to seem wierd. It realy is a shame. That beeing said, however, I am pleased to say that where I live I am not the only one at my age to work with my hands. My younger brother has for the last two years been making knifeblades. Tree-layer blades, meaning that the blades is forged from two layers of iron with a layer of carbon-steed in the middle. And at the local knifeclub we have one member that is 22 and one that is 10. that is four below the age of 30, and that is a pretty good count in a club with no more than 20 members.

Still, this is a problem all ower Norway, and Sweeden to I'm sure, and the leaders of the knife-union in Norway says that our greatest threat is old age.

And funny you mentioned Mora, because they have their role in the history of the Toten-knife as well. The thing is, Toten was once the biggest producer or knives in Norway, and during the 19th century it was made between 30 000 and 70 000 knives a year. The knifemakers made all sorts of knives, but thay all had the barrelshaped handle that you can see on the tree I made. Mora knives are moddeled from the Toten-knives, and when they started their production the number of knifemakers in Toten dropped down to about ten ore twelve.

I don't dislike Mora, but I am a little sad because of the effect they have on our society. A Moraknife is so cheap that people doesn't even sharpen their blades anymore, they just buy a new one, and my master actually was told once by a man that he should reduce his price because the Moraknives were way cheaper.

Yes... In this discussion and in a different one on the forum, I keep thinking about something I read in one of John Seymours books. He was talking about that now everyone wants to earn alot of money so that they have a big surplus so that they can spend it on items that they soon throw away. It is like it's no longer OK to just earn enough to make do. Sure as a skii-carver or a knifemaker you won't make enough money to go on trips to Greece every year, but you can go to bed at night smiling at a good days work in which you feel like you have accompliced something. Which might not be the case doing a menial job in a huge factory which you hate.

Oh well... Enough ranting for tonight..

Anyway, like I said before, keep up the good work. Keep us updated on the knives, I love that style of silverwork that you norweighans do so well.

//DQ

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again for the kind words. And I musst admit to agree with you, I realy like the silverwork on some of the Norwegian knives. One of my goals as a knifemaker is to become able to recreate some of the creations made by the elder knifemakers from my district. I musst say, I have a long way to go...

Here is a sample of what I'm working towards:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4-p7NtorHU0/Sl7PwDL6xcI/AAAAAAAAG-Y/Nnxt8IEkEzc/s1600-h/NT-10a.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4-p7NtorHU0/SmBR1ZsA7NI/AAAAAAAAHBA/HMbvFygNxHo/s1600-h/a-TAL-01a.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4-p7NtorHU0/SmBSEvosHZI/AAAAAAAAHBY/pdwvTeOd4us/s1600-h/a-TAL-01d.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4-p7NtorHU0/SmBSptndpmI/AAAAAAAAHCQ/mdyT_eBc_6o/s1600-h/a-TAL-01k.jpg

These knives is likely made by the same knifemaker, a man named Talebakke, and are both more than a century old. They are both Toten-knives.

Latest posts

Sponsors