The Sweetest Music...

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
As someone once said (many times as I recall)...'I just love it when a plan comes together'!!

The rosette metal cleaned up around the edges just fine and inletting into a display board has been accomplished.

Here it is ready to display along with a matching Waverly tuner I engraved some time ago.

Hope to get the guitar built over the next year.

Attachments

• CL Rosette for Display e.jpg
    CL Rosette for Display e.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 151

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Those came out beautifully! I've been enjoying watching these as they came together, thanks for showing. Now lets watch the guitar build...

Tom

SamW

I will be using top quality rosewood/Engelmann Spruce and cedar neck for the build Phil. And I will be using tried and true building techniques so I am sure the sound will be pleasing. Too bad I don't know how to play guitar!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Understood Sam, I'm sure the sound will be great, of course there's no guarantee's as I'm sure you know that no two guitars sound the same even with the best wood and makers, it's in the hands of the gods me thinks.

Surely a few chords are possible by now :)

Phil

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a dream scenario: Sam has his completed guitar at the 2017 FEGA show and Phil Coggan is there to play a few tunes on it for his admiring fans. :cool:

SamW

If you mean mount the aluminum with JB Weld yes I plan to do it the same again. I want to do a raised gold animal and large W for an inlay on the head piece and just to see how it comes out. The thin aluminum sheet mounted with a very thin layer of JB Weld onto a thick plate of aluminum came apart very easily and I got no distortion out of the setting of the inlays. I am enjoying the experimentation. It is quite the learning experience when it works and even more so when it does not work.

Phil...that can be supplied post haste!! And if you came over you could tour around for a few days (Grand Canyon and such) and then attend the SCI show. I would think H&H would love to have you there!!

Last edited:

SamW

SCI is an experience everyone should treat themselves to at least once. It usually takes me two days of wandering around (dare I say drooling around) to get my fill of all the marvels on display. And a great opportunity to meet people from the world over...and that is saying something for a hermit like myself!!

SamW

I had a request for a close look at the hair on the young buck so here it is. As the fellow was rather shaggy from a harsh winter I simplified the coat somewhat and just did the best I could. Not "photo real" but it works.

Attachments

• close-up for Jeff.jpg
    close-up for Jeff.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 114

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had a request for a close look at the hair on the young buck so here it is. As the fellow was rather shaggy from a harsh winter I simplified the coat somewhat and just did the best I could. Not "photo real" but it works.
Sam, it's close enough for me.....anyway, it doesn't have to be as I doubt if anyone will be looking at it through a glass :)

Phil

SamW

Thanks Dennis and Phil...

Phil, you once told me that when you ink projects after color removal that you thin the ink with cellulose lacquer thinner. We only have nitrocellulose here in the states...cellulose seems to be available only in the UK and perhaps EU.

I just used plain lacquer thinner from the hardware store to thin the wood engraver's Block Printing Ink that I used for this rosette and really like the way it came out. Brought out the hair on the yearling without covering up any detail. After inking and lightly wiping away excess I laid the part on top of my heater for a few days to insure quick drying. I did not measure the mix ratio but believe it was more than 50% thinner...it was very thin anyway.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never get tired of looking at your work. Can't wait to see your Indian gun at Las Vegas. For those wondering about the show, Sam's sculpted Indian gun will be worth it all by itself.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, the only reason I use cellulose thinners is that it's quick drying, I guess there are many other products that are equally as good, acetone might work...I haven't tried it though.

There has been a switch over with car spray paints to water based which is much safer and cellulose is slowly being phased out here.

Phil

SamW

Same here Phil, as nitrocellulose has been a no-no for years now and I see water based being sold at luthier supply businesses. I wonder how water based lacquer works on one of your H&H jobs? What are you or they spraying on these days?

Thanks Lee...only the sideplates are done but will be displayed.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, I don't know what they're using, I could find out, but I wouldn't use water based on a gun as in the time it takes to dry, rust could be forming and could surface after a few years.

Last edited:

Sponsors