thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry,
WOW, 4 months. I was right, I didn't guess. Amazing dedication. Thanks

Todd

Steveareno

Barry
Over the top! Love the incorporation of colored diamonds. What type of jade did you use and did you use an ultrasonic drill-cutter? Jade is as hard a gem as it gets.

Thanks for showing
Steve

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys.
Steve, I used carbide hand held tools.
I dont know what type of jade Steve Hoel used when he made the knife, he calls it Siberian.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Berry,
Absolutely stunning knife, :clapping: however I was there when you learned this pave' technique, ;) and I think that you would be the first to admit that if not for the guidance "Hamslap" and I gave you at the banquet, you would not be nearly so advanced as you so plainly are today! :justkidding:

Steveareno

Barry
I am a little confused when you say gold inlayed into the jade. Are you carving the jade out and using traditional gold inlay technique or is it a form of gold foil gilding? I know that jade is super hard to carve and polish and you mentioned that it was done with carbide hand tools. Could you explain the process, I’m very interested. I forgot to complement you on your pave work in my previous post, just amazing.

Thanks again
Steve

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
That's some beautiful "Nuthin to it". I am sorry I didnt go to the show. Just keep better and I can't wait to see how you will top this one!!!!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Amazing, impressive and inspiring. I've been pave setting diamonds for over 20 years and I rarely see work this clean on gold much less steel! Hat's off to you for this one.
I'd love to know how the stone setting went on steel. A few here and there I can comprehend but full pave work? I'm at a loss.
Simply stunning!

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steareano, it is gold sheet, made from canadian maple leaf 24k coins.I roll it out with a mill to about .012 inch, then cut the hole in the jade about .010 inch deep , burnish the gold sheet lightly to transfer the impression to the gold, cut out the leaf, and punch it in, and trim it flush, then sculpt and shade it.
Thanks Peter.
Keith, I cant wait either!
Southern, it is not quick, I can tell you that.
Most of my jewelry stone setting experiance in the past was single stones on belt buckles, so I dont have any way to compare pave on gold to pave on stainless, but I would guess the main difference is it is a bit harder to get bright clean work on the stainless, compared to gold, as to polish, and then when you throw in the fact you have to stay off the jade, it is a bit tricky.