The Siberian, A knife by Steve Hoel, engraved by Barry Lee Hands

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Siberian
Featuring the never before seen GOLD INLAID JADE and FIVE CARATS OF PAVE’ SET DIAMONDS
This exquisite Steve Hoel folding knife features a luxurious overabundance of ornament; the finest in decoration by Barry Lee Hands utilizing precious metals and diamonds, with Barry’s original techniques.
The knife is a Sheffield model Hoel with a three and three sixteenth inch (81mm) blade and an overall length of seven and one half inches (190 mm).
The blade is of ATS 34, and the frame of 416 stainless steel features an inlay of Siberian Jade with contrasting tints of green, blue, white and grey.
Barry chose to decorate this piece with 24k yellow gold and green, blue and white diamonds, in his Renaissance leaf pattern, to compliment the beauty of the jade.
The rear bolsters feature the area of origin with five 24k yellow gold sculpted and shaded renaissance leaves in a swirling pattern of 24k gold leaves, and green, blue and white pave’ set diamonds forming a luxuriant carpet of abundance on which the leaves rest.
The gold leaves continue onto the jade! Barry inlays Gold, for the first time, into jade.
This is a new, difficult and time consuming technique, developed by Barry, for this work.
The leaves seem to blow across the jade; inspired by the great winds which originate in Siberia.
The leaves continue onto the front bolster, which is decorated with seven leaves in all.
The leaves on the front and rear bolsters are set with 1.3 mm white diamonds.
The bolsters and jade are surrounded by generous borders of raised 24k gold.
On each side of the spine are set diamonds, alternating groups of three in blue, green and white.
This treatment continues all the way around each edge of the knife terminating in a field of pave’ set diamonds on the rear of the bolsters.
The knife is set with more than 800 diamonds, an approximate weight of five carats.
The use of gold is prolific, and at the highest level of technical achievement.
These factors, combined with the original use, and only example extant, of Barry’s gold inlay into jade, make this a truly one of a kind example of the knifemaking and engraving arts at the highest level.
Offered at 79,000 USD

SOLD

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work! Do you set all the diamonds?
Congrats it's a stunning piece of art.

Jake

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Outstanding work Barry.

So what came first, the diamonds followed by gold, or the other way round??

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Guys, and thanks for all the comments.
First, I located the leaves, then the stems(inductive layout) then cut the standard stone setters bevel cut with an Alexadre style onglette around everything, drilled the holes, cut the channels, cleaned it up and then set 800+ stones, nuthin to it!
Oh, and then I layed on the gold, sculpted and shaded it and set the stones on the leaves.
And as far as the gold inlayed into the jade and sculpted, lets not even go there.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My god...I've never seen anything like this before! That is nothing less than spectacular!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Barry, every time I think you have reached your pinnacle, you surpass it! This is outstanding in design and execution. Keep 'em coming!

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry, pretty amazing. Just curious, how many hours do you have in that work. I couldn't even begin to guess.
Todd

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!!!!!
Withe every piece you just push he envelope a little further, thanks for showing Barry.

Peter