The new Tom White variable speed diamond hone

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently recieved a hone from Tom for testing and I like it a lot.
It is variable speed, so I can rough out gravers at high speed with the course wheel, and do the belly and face with a fine wheel at low speed and avoid scorching the edge, which can be a hazard at the high RPM.
The platen is adjustable for heigh, therefore you can use any kind or brand of sharpening fixture, there is a potentiometer on the front that will control the speed from way too fast, down through the usable ranges all the way to a dead stop.
It is the most versatile sharpening machine I have ever used.
I already own three hones, but this one makes them all obsolete, and I will purchase this one for my use.
Here are some pics of the way I am using it:

Using it with the DG3 fixture to rough grind the face of a square graver at higher RPM:

Grinding on the face at low RPM with a fine wheel:

Raising the wheel to grind the side of a tool:

Lowering the wheel and using adiamond stone as a guage to set the height correctly for the Lindsay Universal:

Using it with the Lindsay universal template:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry, what is the difference between this hone and the one Tom has been selling for the past few years? More torque, different diamond wheel? It looks the same as the one I've had for a few years. Which, by the way, I just love! I too have two hones and I use Tom's for all the fast gross removal on a new graver. Then I move over to the older GRS slow hone with the ceramic lap and do the face and heels. It makes setting up a new graver very quick and efficient.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Doc,
This one is variable speed, controlled by the logrithmic potentiometer on the front, next to the power switch.
It is infinitely variable in speed. from dead stop, to slow, to fast and faster.
The older TW hone goes fast and faster, but does not go slow.

The torque is about the same as the older one, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

I like that feature you described, allowing the wheel to be raised or lowered.

If Tom White and GRS are reading this post, both suppliers of grinding laps should consider incorporating a de-magnetizer as a part of the hone. I have attached one I made by buying a bathroom fan motor for about $10, throw away the rotor, and mount the stator wired with a push button switch to the side of the hone, and its a perfect de-magnetizer just where you need it. I think it would make any motorized hone more useful.

As a general principle, I am in favor of supporting all who offer engraving related tools and fixtures for sale that might make our benches better equipped. They need to flourish enough that they stay open for business in these economic times.

best

Rod

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HiRod, yes a demagnetized could be good, some steels seem to magnetize easily.
As to tools I have many different brands, sometimes I switch tools just to keep from getting bored, hehe.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Barry,I like the one I have,purchased it used from a student $150.00 she said it was burning up her gravers.She wanted to buy a power hone,mine is set up for Lindsay's templetes.J.J.

Tom White

Barry,
Thank you for taking the time to test the new model hone and also for taking the time to give some feedback.

Tom

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Tom,
You very welcome, I like it a lot, the settings at the low speed are great for fine sharpening with the fine wheels, and the midrange speeds are great for shaping gravers with the coursest wheel.
I have had no problem with overheating the fine adge of a carbide tool, which can be a problem when using a really fast hone, espescially with the fine wheels.
Thanks for making such a great machine.

Tom White

I am getting a lot of emails about the differences in this hone over the standard model and the model 2 hone all of the details can be seen at my page.
www.twdesignshone.com

Thanks for the interest,
Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors