Announcement: The New Engraving Transfer System 94 Winchster Kit

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member

The 94 Winchester Nimschke Scroll Transfer Kit​

Mike Dubber and Les Schowe of Firearms Engraving Transfers announce that new Transfer Kits for the 94 Winchester are now available. This Transfer kit includes compete instructions and a full set of Transfer Sheets© for the Nimschke inspired American Scroll patterns on the 94 Winchester shown in this Thread. The kit also includes a casting of the finished work for engravers to review details, depth of cut, and background treatments to complete the engraving patterns on their personal or client commissioned 94 Winchester Rifles.

As with all www.engravingtransfers.com kits, engravers are at will to adjust scroll patterns and to impart individual style of backgrounding and detail as they execute the patterns. The transfer set includes scroll patterns for the left and right side panels, the rear tang, the link, the breech bolt, barrel, lever and other small detail areas of the Winchester 94 receiver and parts.

The scrolls are not a direct copy of any particular Nimschke engraving, but are derived from concentrated study of LDN style and execution at the height of his career during the late 1800’s. The scroll work is large and comfortable to cut for intermediate to advanced level engravers. For most engravers, the entire set of patterns can be transferred and cut in 20 to 30 hours and detail and backgrounds can be executed in an additional 10 to 12 hours.

Future Transfer Kits

The Colt SAA 1800’s and 2010 style kits have been available for several months. Production is on-course for the Ruger Vaquero/Colt SAA Cowboy Shooter transfers, especially designed for the big scroll look desired by the Cowboy Shooters that will be released during in the first quarter of 2013. Engraving Transfers is also in the process of creating new kits for 2013 with the 1911 Colt Auto and Winchester/Uberti Yellow Boy lever action that are on the drawing board.

Please go to www.engravingtransfers.com for information and purchase of Transfer Kits.

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I would dearly love to see this same transfer package made up for the Winchester 22 pump model 1890 and 1906. This Winchester pump is a fantastic canvas for engraving. Are any plans being made for this rifle to have a transfer package?
Thanks, Glenn

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike Fennell,

Just because a gun is nicely engraved doesn't mean it has to become a safe queen. You have seen my engraved Uberti 1866 at the OGCA. It has thousands of rounds through it in SASS competition. It has some minor dings and scratches from being placed on loading tables and tossed onto hay bales but nobody seems to notice them as I am constantly complimented on the gun.

If you engrave your '94 what could happen to it while hunting that you or someone else couldn't fix. I guess you could drop it off a cliff into a botomless ravine but what are the chances of that. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun! Unless a 94 Winchester is engraved it is just like the other three millon they made. Besides that, if you engrave it it will be all the more treasured by your decedents and whoever owns it throughout history.

Cheers,
Roger

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Good thoughts Roger, and I agree heartily. The 94 Winchester, it is said, has killed more game than any other American Rifle. I can't confirm that of course, but this old feller has been with me a long time, and the next tme it goes out it will have new life, and for me, it will be an entirley new hunting experience. This one is post-64 with the compositon metal that turns red when, or shorly after, you blue it. So right now it's in Pennsylvania at Mahovsky's for their special Metalife SSChromium finish ( ww.metalife.com). I stripped the stock and it's hanging by my bench while I apply a new hand-rubbed oil finsh - and the remaining metal parts are at my gunsmight's shop for buing.

I'll show the fnished project here when it's all back together...maybe in a woodsy scene...maybe with my latest whitail?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This one is post-64 with the compositon metal that turns red when, or shorly after, you blue it.
Ordered your kit this morning. Do you know the approximate date when they used to composition metal? Was it while they were still Winchester, or after they got bought out? Mine is a post-64 that I bought in 1973 used, but it might have been a couple of years older than that.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Good point, Roger. I will probably do it eventually.

I think my real concern was that in the process of removing and replacing the barrel, the unusually fine accuracy of this particular M94 might be compromised, but I will never know til I try, will I?

MIke, thanks for mentioning the final finish. It sounds like a good rust-preventer for my rainy-day 870 and Model 29 Smith when they have been upgraded.

Last edited:

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Good point, Roger. I will probably do it eventually.

I think my real concern was that in the process of removing and replacing the barrel, the unusually fine accuracy of this particular M94 might be compromised, but I will never know til I try, will I?

MIke, thanks for mentioning the final finish. It sounds like a good rust-preventer for my rainy-day 870 and Model 29 Smith when they have been upgraded.

Hi Mike:

The 94 Winchester barrel screws out and threads right back into place. Just make a registration mark and thread it back to the same registered mark. The thing I would not do is try to enrgave this pattern without removing the barrel - way too many turns of the receiver to try that!

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
This looks super Mike,

Sure is great you make those patterns and castings. One thing I was wondering is how do you do a wax transfer on the side, scotch magic tape isn't that wide, just use transparent packing tape or do it in bits and pieces with the narrow tape?

Peter

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter, you can get rolls of Scotch "Bookbinders Tape" which is either 2.5 or 3 inches wide. It's great for smoke pulls too.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Mark,
Will have to find some of that, didn't know they make some tape that wide.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors