The Holy Shrine of Imam Reza, Mashhad

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
My new work, The Holy Shrine of Muslim's 8th Imam, Imam Reza.
This holy shrine is in Mashhad, where is the city that I live in.
It is made of Silver and Where I've used gold in this work, I mean the "Dome", in reality It is made of gold too!
Imam reza is known as the protector of Gazelles and also he has been a really kind and merciful person!
And for the flag, because it's green, I've used Emerald!

Attachments

• IMG_5562 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_5562 - Copy.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

axeman11

And if you took that picture with the coin in one hand and the camera in the other I salute you. If this was the case, what is your equipment selection and settings? If I could take just one picture like yours or like Barry Lee Hands or Sam Alfano my life would be perfect. I can't though and so live a life steeped in mediocrity. I've tried focusing and even using lighting. Nothing works.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
AK,

This is a lovely piece with fine definition and cutting, congratulations!

Axeman,

An inexpensive fast track into getting some better photos of shiny engravings is to cut a one gallon water bottle onto halves, the bottles that are opaque plastic. Put the upper half over your engraving and camera looking at it down the spout. This give a more even diffused light. You will start to get better results, and be enthused to get into more careful lighting ?

Rod

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
Axeman: And if you took that picture with the coin in one hand and the camera in the other I salute you. If this was the case, what is your equipment selection and settings?

Yes, You're right. The engraving piece was in one of my hands and the camera in an other.
I'm sure you can take a good photo if you know some points!
One of the tracks is what Rod said about using a water bottle with opaque white plastic.
But what I do, is using a square white cloth that is hanging in the day light. your camera should be on its legs.
If you use an Analogue Camera, use films by 80-100 ASA, Macro Lens, Photometer, and inevitably use self timer.
If you use a Digital Camera, you can use Macro option, 400 ASA, and there is an option on every digital cameras that has " + - ". this is where you can set your ideal light.
As you know, by changing your place or the subject place you can have better light! And also you can use a piece of Aluminum to have more light on the parts that have less light.
It needs practice, and after that you see that sometimes some pieces have better looking in day shadow!

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ali,

Thanks for showing your excellent work. I am especially amazed by the precision of the cut lines in the bricks in the dome.

Could you please explain something for us? It was my understanding that Islamic artists were not allowed to depict man or beast in their work and thus we never see people and animals carved or painted on buildings or mosques. Does this restriction only apply to mosques and religious items?

Thanks,
Roger

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
Thank you very much, I really tried to make it similar to the real holy shrine! But it is not even the half of it!

About your question, yes you're right, we don't paint and depict People and animals in our masque and religious places, but it's just for these places.
If you search and see the photo of historical places in Iran, for example "Shiraz Persepolis", you can see sculptures of peoples, kings, soldiers and also animals like lions and a special kind of eagle which is called "Homa".
And also in painting, you can see paintings of Mr. Farshchian, who is the master of Persian painting and miniatures. He also draw some paintings with religious subjects.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Islamic tradition of no depictions of animals is mosaic in origin."thou shalt not kneel before any graven image" etc. in my understanding.

a.khaksari

Elite Cafe Member
In fact, this image has been taken in the morning light to show praying in the morning! That's why the colors are warmer! :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i cant improve on the words already spoken: this is just a beautiful work.