The Gods: Tane

Andrew Biggs

This is the latest watch I have engraved at the beginning of the year. It is the first in a series depicting the Gods and their influence on us and our surroundings. You can read all about the watch specs and see more photos at this web site www.magrette.com

This is Tane's story................:)

Ranginui and Papatuanuku were the first gods and they were joined together. Because of this the world was in darkness. Their offspring lived in crevices in a dark universe. Tane, the oldest son and perhaps the most powerful, forced his parents apart and separated them and in doing so, brought light into the world and the earth and sky were formed. Ranginui was eventually forced up and became the sky father and Papatuanuku became the earth mother.

There was a time of great chaos during the separation and many struggles ensued between the offspring of Rangiui and Papatuanku as the siblings fought for domination of everything around them.

The God Tane, the greatest of all the children, brought life into the world and created all the forests and birds. His brothers and sisters once released into the light went on to become the Gods of war, water, fertility and other things………..but that's all another story.

When a mighty tree is felled a prayer (karakia) of thanks is made to Tane. Thereafter the life force of Tane resides within the timber even after it has been crafted into other treasures (taonga).

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Tane-2-low-res.jpg
    Tane-2-low-res.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Tane-3-low-res.jpg
    Tane-3-low-res.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Tane-4-low-res.jpg
    Tane-4-low-res.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 214
  • Tane-5-low-res.jpg
    Tane-5-low-res.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Tane-6-low-res.jpg
    Tane-6-low-res.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 178

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Watch Engraving

Ins't it great when a beautiful, masterfully executed engraving also tells a story. For me, that's when engraving transcends to another level of the art.

Well done Andrew!

Mke

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tiny canvas.

Great story.

Huge art.

I hope someday you'll gather all of this material into a book.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful watch! Terrific designs and engraving, and even your lettering is very cool. I like the stories and I am glad your postings these things for all of us to enjoy. Thanks, Seth

Gene Tru

Really a nicely executed piece, Andrew. On this particular piece, did you draw the design directly on the watch or did you transfer the design. If transferred, which technique did you use. Thanks, Gene

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Bonjour Andrew
There is always a lot of Maori's soul, in your engraving...

Congratulations!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW Andrew! Every watch is better than the last, and each has been beautifully done.

You have developed a very unique style and it is ALWAYS a pleasure to see your work and read the story of how the art developed.

Thanks

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Individuality above All!

Hi Andrew!

A great example of creativity!
Your work is always distinguished it your not on anyone unlike style!

Many of those who are beginning to engage engraving business,
try to copy the works of famous artists and as a result
not finding themselves losing their own individuality!

Your works are organic and initially individually!
You take the inspiration for his work from the Earth where you live!
From the history, culture, religion, your Earth!

Your creativity great example for beginners!

His works show you how to be themselves, to have your own handwriting in the work!

Good luck to you!
I am glad that your Earth itself tells you
Themes for your wonderful work!

BES
Eric S. Brezhitsky

Andrew Biggs

Thank you for all the nice comments. Much appreciated. :)

The photos are professionally done by a photographer in Auckland.

Gene........I draw on paper first, scan the design into the computer, trace over with a pen in Photoshop, vectorise in CorelDraw and then transfer using a transparancey and Tom Whites Magic Solution.

Now that all sounds a bit complicated but in fact dosn't take long to do and is quite easy.

But........I always have to alter the design slightly with a scriber on the job as all of the surfaces are curved so adjustments have to be made.

The shading/tattoos etc I never draw in. I just wing it straight off the graver.

Eric/BES.......Yes, there is inspiration all around us. It's just a matter of finding something that appeals to you and trying to make it show in your own work. :)

Cheers
Andrew