The Gangsters, Capone & Dillinger

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
The Gangsters have been underway for some time and the work is nearing completion. These 1911's were obtained from the Colt Custom Shop a number of years ago; I had them stored away waiting for the right job. They are consecutive serial numbers and built in the original 1911 configuration, just as they were originally produced in 1911, the first year of issue. The theme was the choice of the buyer, it represents much study and deciphering of two entitled different personalities.

Capone was a mob boss and his career covered many years of strong-arm management of his empire. Ultimately, after years of directing his criminal activities, he was sent to Atlanta Federal prison on tax evasion charges. "Scarface" gamed the system there and lived much the same high-life that he did before the incarceration. When Alcatraz opened in 1934 he was sent there. During his initial introduction by the warden, he was told that he would from that point forward be referred to as Prisoner #85. He did convince the Warden to allow him to participate in a prison band - the "Rock Islanders." Al played the banjo - claimed he could play 100 songs! In a letter to his son he finished by signing. "Your loving father, #68."

Dillinger was sent to prison at the age of sixteen for robbing a local grocery store manager. When he emerged, he started on two year spree of bank robberies, 24 in all. It ended on the street outside the Biograph Theater in Chicago where he was gunned down by agents of the FBI, lead by his nemesis, Melvin Purvis. His athletic exploits also generated four major escapes from jails and other"inescapable" situations like the one at Little Bohemia, Wisconsin...all leading to his moniker of "Jackrabbit." Dillinger was idolized by the public, his cavalier attitude and captivating grin made him a post depression hero.

The mixed bag of subject matter represents an attempt to showcase some of the major events and in the lives of Capone and Dillinger. Attached are both finished and work-in-progress photos of the project. Jim Hasson (Apache Junction, AZ) made the mesquite showcase. Katherine Plumer has another set of scrimshawed grips underway.

Barner_1911_40.jpg Barner_1911_41.jpg Barner_1911_31.jpg Barner_1911_33.jpg Barner1911_23.jpg Barner1911_05.jpg Barner1911_26.jpg

Attachments

• Barner_1911_29.jpg
    Barner_1911_29.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Barner1911_27.jpg
    Barner1911_27.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you need to do Ma Barker and Pretty Boy Floyd next
Looks great Mike Now slow down so you don't hurt yourself

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
What a great pair of 1911's.
Another masterwork from Mr. Mike !! Lots of research and attention to detail.

This pair of 1911 Colts are sure to get even better with the addition of some wonderful scrimshawed grips, displaying the artistry of Katherine Plumer's fine work.

I believe this pair of Colts may even challenge the combined artistry of Mike and Katherine that was produced on a Colt 1911 of a few years ago, honoring General George Patton.
That is and was another masterwork by the team of Mike and Katherine.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's a fabulous, Mike!! Congratulations yet again for another masterpiece!

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks so much Sam, Marty and John - I promise better photos after the entire project is completed.

Hope to see y'all in Vegas !

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
fabulous work is a blatant understatement!! i think you have pushed the bar way outta sight on this job.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, sadly I won’t be able to make it to Vegas this year. Will miss everyone.
But plan on being there next year to catch up with everyone.

Latest posts

Sponsors