The engraver and the comb

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thoroughly enjoy this forum and the exchange of information and ideas. I have read about things I have wondered about for years but didn't know who to ask. I know many have these same questions: How do I get to the top?? What do I do, what do I need to be the best engraver I could possibly be??? This has led me to the most subtle observation: The engraver and the comb. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the, how shall I say this, lack of hair atop the heads of some of the worlds best. I even noticed in the photo of Joseph (taken decades ago) an obviously receding hairline.
Is it possible that this and this alone may be the "secret" to being a world-class engraver? (Personally speaking this is a very grave concern due to the fact that I still have a lot of hair left on my own head.) Could it be that the top engraves spend so much less time fixing their hair that they are able to dedicate themselves to the art hours, weeks, days and perhaps even months more than the rest of us? Or is it the savings on hair products alone that gives them the advantage? Perhaps it is a little known phenomenon that occurs when light is refracted off of the bald spot that enables them to see just a little better. Or, is it a lower wind-resistance when cutting that makes the difference? Could this be the "magic bullet" the "holy grail", the forbidden (until now!) secret of the engraving world? Who knows? I believe the saying "only my hairdresser knows for sure" just may have been coined by an engraver!

What do you think?

Weldon (still with hair on my head)

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon, that's the funniest thing I've read in a long, long time. I sure hope you're right though. I had a very nice bald spot before I decided to shave it all off. Hair cuts are a thing of the past but now I spend a lot more money on razor blades. Oh well.
David

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You know David, you beat me to it. I was going to comment that I figured out why you shaved your head!!!
:)

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, you may be on to something about the hair......
I kinda had a similar thought but it was geographical= A lot of world class engravers seem to live WEST of the Mississippi River or in Michigan.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................

Andrew Biggs

Hi Weldon

Good spotting. It’s obvious that you are improving your observation skills and seeing more of the detail.

Coming from a long line of follicley challenged men I can speak with some authority on this. It has long been kept a family secret and a quiet understanding among bald men that the less hair you have, the stronger the creative gene. We often acknowledge this with a quick and subtle nod of the head when we see each other.

It generally starts with hair loss in your mid 20’s. This is usually in the form of thinning hair. As your skill levels start improving the receding hairline starts kicking in. As the creative gene becomes stronger the area on the back of the head starts losing hair.

Well that’s a fairly simplistic way of putting it as what really happens is the creative gene, forcing its way to the surface actually pushes the hair out. I’m trying to keep this explanation as simple as possible so that those of you with a full set of hair can understand the process.

When the receding hair line and patch at the back of the head start joining up you know that you are just about at your creative best. The transformation is nearly complete but there is one crucial stage to come.

The final stage is the shaving of the entire head. When you have reached this pinnacle you have indeed attained nirvana and it’s a sure sign that all of the creative genes are in harmony with one another and you are at the very height of your creativity and become at one with the universe.

Three very interesting side effects of this are you become like a Greek God in your stature and more alluring to women.

All bald men know this to be true, but you will seldom hear them boasting about it because the third side effect is humility ;)

Cheers
Andrew

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

Your comments confirm what I suspected to be true: a real hair-raising conspiracy exists! Also, thanks for keeping it simple (and for a great sense of humor!

Weldon

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, I hope you're not right because if you are - I'm in trouble.... I don't think I'm ever going to get to bald without some serious head shaving.... but now that you mention it, I did recently have 18 inches cut off my hair and did feel a burst of scroll drawing energy... hmmmmm???

webad2006

Weldon, I for one hope your right. My hair is getting thinner, and more receeded by the day. Maybe there is still some hope for me after all.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well now.for those of you who know me and my place in the shiney dome catagory............I think I win

I also like Andrews rationale...but the best one is...

THIS IS NOT A BALD HEAD. IT IS A SOLAR PANEL FOR A SEX MACHINE

WDA

Tira & Winston

Tira and Winston Churchill must be exceptions to the rule! But then...........I don't
have much hair and play a little bit of rock & roll on guitar. Thought the hair
had to be down to the middle of your back to do that.
Weldon.......I won't sleep tonight thinking about this. Maybe there's hope for me as and engraver................laser
beam cutting as sun reflects off of my head!

Bill

Andrew Biggs

Hi Weldon

One thing that I did fail to mention is………………inside every man with a bear skin on his head is a bald man trying to get out!!!!

Tira……………….no worries, you’re quite safe. This law of the universe only applies to men. With women it’s quite the opposite. In fact, bald men like their women with hair and never feel threatened or intimidated by it.

Unfortunately this can’t be said of men with lots hair as they quite often feel that they have to compete with women………………sad but true. For some men this can be quite debilitating as they have to go to the hair salon regularly and go on a strict hair regime of gels, mousse, colouring and continual preening.

I certainly hope that nobody is offended by these comments as the last thing I wish to do is start a round of “hair wars†:)

Cheers
Andrew

Marty...................that is supposed to be a closly guarded secret only known to the very inner circles of bald men..........You realize that you could find yourself dragged before the follicle committee for letting that one out!!!

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well if any of you absolutely need it I have enough to share with everybody on the forum. At this point I can give Tira a run for her money.:D

Ray

M

mcrapo

All these thoughts on the hair challenged group of people are very good. But being a person with less than his share of hair on top, my wife has pointed out a good thought as to way this is.

"Grass grows greener over a septic tank." - Meaning that those people with less hair must have more brains and less fertilizer up top.

My own thoughts on the subject are that as a person uses the brain, the head heats up more, and the hair can not stand the heat so it leaves.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike :)

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
whoa there, baldies.....

I think I found a new use for my hip boots here, as it is getting mighty deep! Actually,FWIW, I think short people do better as they are always on their toes whether their hair is long or non existent!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Oh, guys. You just broke all my dreams.

When I look at my dad I've still got 30 years to go and still would have no talent. His head just stubbornly keeps the hair stuck to it. I guess there's just no natural talent in our family...

But, hey, an idea. Maybe I could shave my head and then trick the creativity to come to me? Yes, that might just work... But then again, during army when I had shaved head I didn't feel that creative - "Sir, yes sir", "Sir, no sir".

Maybe I just shave one half and find out what happens.

Thanks for the food for thought!