The Egyptian Gods

Andrew Biggs

The Egyptians believed in many Gods. Some were popular across the whole country while others were only worshipped in isolated areas. Each of the Gods were important to the daily lives of the people from Pharaohs to slaves and none dared offend them. Sacrifices and offerings were made to appease them and festivals were celebrated at certain times of the year observing the rituals and customs of the time.

Side One

Ra: With the head of a falcon, Ra is the great Sun God whom all the Pharaohs of Egypt were descended from. He is the most powerful of the Old Kingdom Gods and was the first ruler of Egypt. He was born every morning and raced across the sky in a flaming chariot.

Anubis: The son of Osiris and often portrayed with a jackal’s head, is the God of funerals and mummies. He guides the dead to the otherworld.

Bastet: Portrayed as a cat and sister to Ra, Bastet is the Goddess of warmth and the sun’s rays that made plants grow.

Side Two

Osiris: The God of the dead who ruled over the kingdom of the place people travelled to when they died. Only people that lead good lives could enter Orisis’ kingdom.

Set: The God of evil who murdered his brother Osiris because he was jealous of his powers. Set was banished to the desert where he walked among humans spreading arguments and discontent.

Mut: The supreme mother Goddess who is married to Ra. Her temple was located at Hermopolis in northern Egypt.

On both sides of the knife is the Eye of Horus, an ancient symbol of protection, royal power and good health. It was once thought that the Eye Of Horus had mathematical properties but that has since been proven to be untrue.

P.S. The knife handles are 73mm long so that's 2 7/8" to the metrically challenged :)

Cheers

Andrew

Attachments

• B09-EGYPTIAN-GODS-3.jpg
    B09-EGYPTIAN-GODS-3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 382
  • B09-EGYPTIAN-GODS-1.jpg
    B09-EGYPTIAN-GODS-1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

You continue to raise the bar, this is a beautiful and rich composition, splendidly cut!

I think we all enjoy your accompanying stories, adding context and history, be it fact or mythology.

best wishes!

Rod

Montejano

Elite Cafe Member
:biggrin:Friend Andrew
The engraving is very beautiful. I am a lover of Egyptian designs and have done some of them. This work symbolizes his personal style and different.
Thanks for showing.:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
What an art piece! I think this may be my favorite, Andrew. Beautifully designed and engraved!

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew ,

you are making infidelities to your maori Gods , but we may pardon you :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Sponsors