The death of an engraving critic

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
At a certain point the artist falls in love with their creative effort, and when that happens the work becomes special and very personal, which has happened to me during this small project. I had finished the butterfly side of this pocket knife and was working happily away on the hummingbird when an uninvited critic came into my sanctuary of peace and harmony disrupting my day. He immediate began to criticize me and my labor. I am a man of very sensitive feeling and when I came to the realization that he thought my labor of love was a piece of fecal matter and started stepping on it. I lost all control of my senses and murdered the little S.O.B.
Have a great day, what do you think of the work?

Attachments

• butterfly done.JPG
    butterfly done.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 342
  • fly and hummigbird.JPG
    fly and hummigbird.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 332

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
Well now peta does have a method of getting rid of those things humanly.I prefer a rolled up news paper though.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph,

Usually, there are "no flies on your work"! (hee hee!!) You should feel honored that you tricked the fly into believing the illusion you created....looks as though he is standing on a stem!

Nicely done.....sad to hear the fly paid the ultimate price!

WL

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting techniques, Joseph. Is this enameling? Did you have to use heat?

That disrespectful little bugger!! Who does he think he is? He got what he deserved.

The colors are very striking and have a lot of potential. How does the color stay in?

I know there is a sort of plastic? material that works like enameling.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your interest in the work, and your concerns for me and the deceased critic.
Jerry I hope this answers your questions. Weldon, thanks for the compliment.
Maestro Ron, you are right. Using these new paints that are manufactured in the U.S. and are called Ceramit has opened up new avenues within engraving.
They are not as easy to use as one might think. They have to be mixed right and take 24hrs to cure well enough to add other colors to.(drying time can be shortened with low heat of 250 degrees but Franca wont let me near her oven.) You also have to check that no craters have been made by air pockets in the paint before it hardens. They take a bit of care in polishing off the excesses after filling in one group of colored spaces.
The spaces must be deep enough to withstand the repeated polishing of each added color. The same depth as needed for wire inlay seems to be enough.
This is how I do it. I apply one color, let dry, polish with 360 grit wet or dry emery paper taking the excess down to barely surface level, then do the next color and repeat rough polishing. When all the colors have been inlaid and rough polished, then finish polishing with 600 grit using water as a lubricant.
As this material is a resin base plastic the paper will clog up after a few strokes, I change paper often. Once the paints are well cure you can add micro dot of other colors to achieve different effects. Mixing and applying goes very fast. And there is no deed to undercut the spaces, but the edges need to be clean, vertical and free of grease or oil from your hands. I have been cleaning with rubbing alcohol before applying the paint.
What I enjoy most about them is the effect that can be created without the expense of precious metal wire and not needing drawplates or undercutting tools to do the work.
I will be going to the Grand Masters in Emporia this Sept. and will bring with me what I have finished. Is there any chance of me seeing you there?
Here is the humming bird side done and the fly’s remains wiped off.
Have a great day.
P.S. King123,I’m a unique kind of guy.

Attachments

• blue hummingbird done.jpg
    blue hummingbird done.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors