The Colt Python 'Gambler"

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Celebrating the Game of High Stakes Texas Hold'em Poker

This Python might be a bit "extroverted" for most of us with refined artistic tastes, but please consider the subject and the "Theme" of this project.

My engraving client is a high-stakes Texas Hold'em Poker player who carefully guided me throught the process of developing a theme that reflected his style of play and the various icons of the "Big Money Game." Most of the inlays are familiar to non-players. A couple exceptions that my client choose are the artistic King and Queen reflection on the top of the frame and the scuplted gold and silver Fluer de lis on the back strap. The Fluer, addition to Las Vegas, reflects his second favorite place to play - in New Orleans. The little folded $100 bill was a challenge, but I'm sure it is central to Hold'em Poker and the ultimate payoff!

The Colt Python: over past years I've turned to the Colt Single Action Army for my central engraving focus, and I must say that the Python, especially since I had not enrgaved one since 1991, is a much more difficult gun to engrave. The cyinder and barrel are tough - and all of my favorite SAA holding fixtures were useless! We were determined to inlay the iconic Las Vegas Neon Sign on the right panel, but if you know the configuration of the Python, you will recall that there are two projections right in the middle of that area. The center pin for the hammer projects through the surface as a threaded screw , and so does the smaller lock pin screw. I cut throught both of them and lowered the area for the inlay - those, necessarily were hardened screws and made things even more difficult. You can see one of the side panel projections just above the trigger on the right panel - that's the trigger pinion; happily I did'nt have top put an inlay over that one too !

And two more - just for Arnauld -

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A superb piece of top flight work, Mike,

from start to finish! You never disappoint us, and always a thrill to see the latest one.

I am going to make a guess, the beautiful folded miniature gold C note had more than $100 of careful and exacting labor go into it?

Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Outstanding, Mike! I love the retro Las Vegas signage and the sculpted fleur-de-lys. Killer piece of engraving!! :clapping:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Mike, I love the details.

Thanks Mike for showing those details especially for me.

arnaud

Last edited:

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
WOW! I REALLY like this! I'm an amateur poker player and really like the gambler theme. I like the classic pocket Kings against Aces showdown, and the details on that tiny C-note is wonderful. One question... it's a six shot, but there are only 4 card suits. I'm curious how you dealt with the other two panels on the cylinder?

Last edited:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Another beauty, Mike. I really enjoy your discussions of the challenges encountered in a project and the solutions you develop for them. Does this mean you have developed a whole new set of holding fixtures?

My son is a pretty good Texas Hold'em player -- placed in the top five at his company's tournament against hundreds of opponents. He also likes Las Vegas and has always coveted my 6" Python, so I expect I will be getting some sort of request from him for after he sees what you have done here.

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Mike:

There's something about Colt Pythons and Poker Players - especially Texes Hold'em fans. They are very well made and have smooth, refined actions......and, they are getting more expensive all the time!

Fixtures: I made do with the inside frame holders for most of the work and I fashioned a couple of home-made holding devices I made out of wood and Thermo Loc.

Sponsors