The Big Five

Andrew Biggs

This is a 54mm diameter brass plate that I recently engraved for a clients gun case.

I've Photoshopped out the clients name at the bottom of the plate, hence the big gap in the lettering.

It was a very pleasant job to design and cut.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Gun-Case-Plate-revised.jpg
    Gun-Case-Plate-revised.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 418

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i would've thought The Big Five of New Zealand would have included at least one wombat and maybe that monster cricket ...

:rolleyes:

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Mitch, they don't make a caliber large enough for the crickets. One has to revert to cannon.

Well done Andrew!

On closer inspection of the engraving, if one looks close and uses a little imagination, going around the outline of the animals, leaving out the buff horns, and head of the rino, the outline of Africa can be invisioned.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love the depth of these. While I like delicate bulino, I prefer this style. It has a great texture. Did you do most of this with linework? Oh, and while the animals grab you, the lettering is first rate stuff!

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all the likes and comments. It was a most enjoyable project.

Neo Dutch.........It's all to do with the grass it eats :)

Mitch................For the giant Weta's we use a bazooka!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
And no 'drop-bears' either?!

Maybe you should do a 'New Zealand nine'... now that could be fun! ;)

Gorgeous work Andrew. And very nice photo too.

Jo

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I love the lettering. Not to say the rest is not fantastic. It just so much better than what I've done. How are you doing it? Push, hammer, pneumatic, pantograph, deal with the devil? What's the secret?

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A very nice composition Andrew, they all fit and it works. Great letters and all the circles meet up...which is a good thing :)

Just one small observation about the animals, they are slightly stylized, nothing wrong with this as it might be as you intended?

Phil

Andrew Biggs

Hi Phil

Yes, I know what you mean about stylising.

It's not something I consciously do, but it seems to happen anyway. I think it's because I was in the commercial art field with the sign business for so long that it creeps in on a subliminal level and is not noticeable till the job is finished.

The funny thing about seeing the photo, is that it becomes more obvious than when I'm working on something at the time. It's almost like looking at someone else's work in the photo.

Wait a minute, what am I saying……….It was planned that way :) :)

The plate was a bit of a mess when it arrived on the work bench and the area with the bead dots couldn't be stoned or sanded out so I had to do something to tidy it up. Thank goodness it worked!!! :)

Great to see you on the forum again.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors