The benefit of laser welding

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm currently got several pieces I will be laser welding to repair pits and such. I will post before and after pictures. Basically the real benefit of the laser over other forms of welding is the pin point accuracy it offers. A traditional welder runs a bead of at least 1/4" wide. With a laser you are looking at 0.3mm to 1.3mm normally. Typically you work with a high power at the small beam diameter to "punch down" into the metal, increasing beam size and decreasing power to blend in the weld.

The incredibly small focus of the laser allows the heat to be focused in only the spot the laser hits. It doesn't heat up the entire piece. You can actually hold everything in your fingers. It get warm, but never to the point you cant hold it with your hands. This means that the hardness of the steel wont be changed. Other welding processes the temper may get changed.

In addition with an argon cover gas, there are virtually no pits that occur within the laser weld. Basically you fill it, smooth/blend with the laser, then do some light refinish in the area of the work.

You don't get the splatter and slag byproduct from other forms of welding. Its extremely clean and very efficient at handling restoration of firearms.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes. The Puk, Orion and other welders are fair at best. There's really no comparison between a laser an arc type welder. All of the arc type welders are inferior in comparison to the laser. The quality of the weld is just better. Plus the only limitation with a laser is what can be seen. Whereas all arc welders require the welder to actually touch the object to strike the arc. For about 80% of the jobs out there it's fine. But for that other 20% it really pays.

I've been using the laser for about the last 12+ years when we got one. It was a $35k machine at the time. It's more than paid for itself.

Now with finding other avenues of firearms restoration, it's really a unique tool. The most important factor is matching the metal fill with the metal object.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info on laser welders. i think they are fantastic devices!
I don't have one, but employ one from time to time. The downside has been silver. The laser seems to find silvers reflective surface a problem. A couple of solutions have been sharpie to dull surface, or using white gold as welding rod (when it doesn't matter.
I have also had the odd laser shoot through a piece of mine. Not sure if it would be similar issue w an Orion? One advantage I could see w the puk/Orion type is you cannot accidentally hit a stone. There will be no current if you are accidentally on the stone.
I can also attest to the laser being able to weld in hard to reach places. I have done some welds deep in acute fluted angles. And they still hold. You still need a clear line of sight. It won't weld around corners. The Orion and puk have a (tungsten?) needle.... I have wondered if that couldn't be extended so that it reachs a few inches from the hand piece to get to those hard to reach areas? Mightn't it even be given a slight curve to reach slightly around a corner? I think it should work if you can crank up, or somehow contain the argon around your work?
I have a question: do you encounter any limitations with the size of objects you can fit under the laser welder. We have overcome this in the past with a removable bottom in the object chamber... But if my things were any wider, I would be out of luck.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The laser welder is one of the few tools that costs over 20,000 that I think is indispensable in the modern jewelry shop. I really don't know what I would do without one. Spent a year without a laser in 2013 and I cursed every day. They are truly remarkable machines. Fill a pit in stainless? No problem. Porosity in a casting. Zap it smooth. Turns many 20 minute jobs into 2 minute jobs. Turns many impossible repairs into a quick fix.
Layne

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been thinking of building a welding cabinet, like a bead blast cabinet with air tight seals where I can use my new TIG Diversion 180 with a micro torch and work under full appropriate purge gas atmosphere in the cabinet. The 5 to 7 grand for a PKU is just not doable. I have heard of this on some of the welding Youtube videos. Seems pretty straight forward, could even place a welding lens in the window. Have been searching for info on the construction. Anybody seen one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Fred

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been thinking of building a welding cabinet, like a bead blast cabinet with air tight seals where I can use my new TIG Diversion 180 with a micro torch and work under full appropriate purge gas atmosphere in the cabinet. The 5 to 7 grand for a PKU is just not doable. I have heard of this on some of the welding Youtube videos. Seems pretty straight forward, could even place a welding lens in the window. Have been searching for info on the construction. Anybody seen one? Any ideas would be appreciated. Fred
Sounds like a kool Idea Fred!!!!