Thanks to Weldon47, Brian Marshall, dilazteca, JJ Roberts, Big Un, Lee Griffiths, Sam

Hillbilly007

After being married for 27 years, my wife, Cynthia, died 18 months ago. Since then, I have had surgery to remove part of my lungs because of COPD. For the past few months, I have been feeling sick and much weaker. Today, I went to have my results from my CT scan explained to me. I have five nodes on the remaining part of my lungs and they are “spiculatedâ€￾, meaning cancer. I am 60 years old and I do not think I am going to go for the chemo and/or radiation. I am just tired, Tired of being sick and tired of missing my wife.
I want to thank dilazteca for talking to me on the phone and giving me pointers to get started engraving and drawing. I want to thank Brian Marshall for all of the posting he has here on the forum. I have probably read everything he has written at least twice. The information he shares here on the forum is GOLD! I do not know if I should thank Weldon47 or blame him, LOL!!! He engraved a mandolin tailpiece for me a few years ago, and since I received it, I have been hooked. JJ Roberts offered for me to stop by his shop anytime, and he would show me what I needed to do, and NO CHARGE. I have just been too sick to take him up on that. Mr. Lee Griffiths, I sent him a PM and sked for his phone number. He sent it to me and I called him. I bought his book and DVD and he even autographed them for me. Also, Sam, for starting this wonderful forum. I have never met any of them in person, but they have helped me more than I can ever re-pay.
I have the Lindsay Artisian system with the four sharpening blocks and a few of his templates. It really makes me tired to shape and sharpen them by hand, but it keeps me busy and keeps my mind busy. I spend most of my time practicing my drawing and reading this forum, especially everything that Brian Marshall writes.
I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum that has helped me. If I pull through this, hopefully I will be able to contribute back to this community.

Gary Watkins

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Thanks for the kind words Gary...

I'm not known for being diplomatic or gentle - and some of those whom I have prodded, pushed and shoved in what has generally been the right direction - probably felt (feel) quite diferently than you - at times.

A few have been counting the days 'till I take off! (If you are one of them - sometime this weekend, you can begin your celebration ;) )

Making scratches on metal, no matter how intricate, complicated, precise and beautiful they may be - does not make even a tiny impression on the universe.

There are those that feel that hand engraving is something sacred - like a religion. It's not, and shouldn't be taken quite so seriously.

There are probably at least a million things in life that matter more. But it's what we do, and I am grateful to have made a reasonable living from it over my lifetime.

I'm gonna send you a PM. There may be another way I can be of help, besides providing amusement here on the forum.

Brian

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Gary I sure hope you get to feeling better in mind and body pronto. I do know that being sick sucks. All the Best amigo.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gary,

leave everything in GODS hands, he has a set path for all of us, we are all at his mercy living on borrowed time, I will keep you in my prayers and at my church also.

But stay in there, dont give up, the world has yet to see your wonderful engraving work that you can and will accomplish. We still have to shake hands at the next fega convention. Stay positive my friend, the engraving world needs you.

Saludos,
Carlos

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
God bless Gary. I hope that the future is a peaceful one for you (despite how hard that is to imagine) and that you get well again soon. Keep up the fight. Thankyou for your inspirational and thankful attitude. I hope I get to shake your hand one day

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gary, you in a tough spot. I feel for you. We all must go sooner or later. It just always seems too soon.
Brian thank you for speaking the truth.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Gary. Hang in there brother....and never give up. We'll be here waiting for you when you get better.
~Sam

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I to choose no to another round of chemo and maybe another transplant. Funny how the doctors will loose interest in you after that. My last cancer doctor is to busy to be seen by her anymore. You make your choice and god's speed in bringing you what you have chosen. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, my good man-- i just wish you comfort, joy at what you do, and above all, a true wish for your recovery. i've undergone a host of fractures, cataracts, brain surgery, and a torn retina. thru it all, my wife was supportive and a huge help. her support, and that of friends-- i could not have gotten thru all this without such support. good luck and god bless you.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll get with you in July. Sorry we had to cancel our meeting last week, but the sudden death of my good friend and pastor, plus the death of my uncle (very close in age) today interfered with us getting together. Hang in there buddy, still want to see you.

Bill

Hillbilly007

I'm not known for being diplomatic or gentle - and some of those whom I have prodded, pushed and shoved in what has generally been the right direction - probably felt (feel) quite diferently than you - at times.

A few have been counting the days 'till I take off! (If you are one of them - sometime this weekend, you can begin your celebration ;) )

Making scratches on metal, no matter how intricate, complicated, precise and beautiful they may be - does not make even a tiny impression on the universe.

There are those that feel that hand engraving is something sacred - like a religion. It's not, and shouldn't be taken quite so seriously.

There are probably at least a million things in life that matter more. But it's what we do, and I am grateful to have made a reasonable living from it over my lifetime.

I'm gonna send you a PM. There may be another way I can be of help, besides providing amusement here on the forum.

Brian

I have been trying to reply to your PM, but it won't let me.

Hillbilly007

Brian

I tired to reply to your PM, but it won't let me.

Latest posts

Sponsors