Thank you, thank you!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Even in a moment of panic, I luckily remembered something that I had read on this Forum years ago. I inadvertently cut an incorrect line on a shotgun I was working on. I cut a good, deep, 1/2 inch long line into the sideplate, when it hit me that I was really off the reservation! It was due to a change of design that I forgot about while doing the initial backbones. I was really pi**ed off at my stupidity and wondering how I was going to change the design AGAIN to accommodate the error. Then I remembered someone, (maybe my old buddy John B.), posting about inlaying soft steel into an engraved line to "erase it". Whoever wrote about it, said that he used the soft metal wire used in "twist-ties". So I found a heavy duty twist tie, stripped and annealed it and WOW, it worked perfectly. After some careful stoning and polishing, you can't find the old line at all.

If you haven't heard of this trick before, tuck it into you memory bank for future reference. It could lower you blood pressure someday.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for this, it will come on handy, now to save as many sizes of twist ties ass possible,

so thinking about this, i can use this method to cover up that ugly roll mark, the horse on the new 1911...hmmmm and engrave a better one

Saludos,

Carlos

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Tricks like this, put into booklet form, with drawn/photographed illustrations, would sell for its weight in gold. I have an old Bowman book which covered burnishing some drag 'engraved' lettering to remove it. I'm using a tip of deer antler for the task, in lieu of a good burnisher that I have to make up from an OLD rattail file, and, it works fine. . .just a lot of elbow grease, and hand polishing to follow. Also, dents in the mug necessitate carefully hammering them out from the low, outside areas first, NOT from the top of the dent downward as one might think of, first off. Drag 'engraving' displaces metal, rather than removes it, and I probably wouldn't have thought of the twisty, soft wire technique myself. That's a great idea. . .now, if I don't forget it!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, two mugs are of pewter and the other is aluminum. The latter is for a friend of mine, free gratis, except for the advertisement he'll be giving me. He's getting into restoring/rehandling knives, and has sold a number of such. The mug will be on the table with the rest of the wares for clientele to view.

Latest posts

Sponsors