Tam O Shanter Stones

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You just get dirty hands with wet & dry :rolleyes: but at least there's no gunk to clean up.

I really don't see any benifit with them.

Phil

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Gesswein makes an incredible selection of stones. One of their which I like for polishing soft metals like aluminum or silver is their 'Ultra-Soft' line of stones. Very easy to shape with an old file. They come 1/8 x 1/2 x 6", 1/4 x 1/4 x 6", etc. Use with a thin oil for polishing to prevent loading and promote even breakdown of the stone.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know little about synthetic stones but I'm very open minded so any info is great. The thing that makes WoA/TO'S so good is that it cuts different metals at the same rate e.g. gold is removed at the same rate as steel when stoning an inlay so you don't get any dipping in the gold. Is this the same with synthetic stones?

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
The Scotch stones are a pleasure to use. I always appreciate using a natural polishing agent such as stone or charcoal. However, practically, the WofA stones fall within a fairly narrow grit range(5-600 I suppose). I find that I use stones from 320 to 1200 g. The Gesswein stones perform very well on non-ferrous and ferrous. I always use water as oil residue in inlay plays hell with patinas. I use the regular moldmaker's and the finer white ones at the high grit range.

Here is one at work.

And for more context you can look at this:

http://www.jimkelso.com/albums/snowflakeinlay/

Stoning with water.JPG

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Although I have decided not to offer opinions, and I do hope you gentlemen don't mind if I interject my nonprofessional observation, I feel someone may benefit. The use of water and oil is only two possible answers for keeping the stone from clogging, try using some Safe Tap or Bur Life type stick lube, it seals the stone and cleans up with a brush or air.

Bob