Tam O Shanter Stones

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
New listing on ebay for these stones, search useing Tam O Shanter. 17.50 plus 3.50 shipping not cheap but they do not mine these any longer. great for stoning down inlay MTC;)

mrthe

From my point of view are very very cheap! This stones are very hard to find, i use it for hobo nickel carving are great for sculpting finish, much more better than the new and sintetic ones, i should search and buy they in sticks of 4x4 mm or 8x8 mm for 10cm long and i pay for it 10/15 or 20$ each stone, this stones work great and are not avaible in the market.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bill
Mrthe check out following the iron brush site, same stones available out of the UK for our European friends . Let me know if you can't find them
Here is the info for our European friendsRecently, I came contact with Mr. Dentrich from London who is selling a bunch of Tam O shanter hones.

With repect to duty fees this is a offer which might be very interesting for our european forumites.
Here is a link to a picture gallery showing the stones in question: Tam o shanter pics
here is his email - adress for potential requests: dentrichbernd@googlemail.com

Last edited:

mrthe

thank you!.....i can't see the pics Dave but i can contact at this mail.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks Dave and Bill for the heads up on the stones, I've used the Tam O Shanter stones not only for removing small scratches in engraving but used them when I was in the printing trade. I ordered two today. J.J.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
How do you handle the size (1"x1") for detail work?

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I would really like to know what these stones can do that synthetic stones cannot do. I've used both - in fact I have a tam-o-shanter stone or two around here somewhere - and I don't see what the excitement is with them. Maybe someone can fill me in. I'm not arguing or saying they're not better. I just want to know :)

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've had 'em around for 40+ years. Don't use 'em much.

Prefer the man-made product because you have a choice of using stones DESIGNED for use dry, with water or with oil.

Also a wide range of specific grits - Tams don't have that.

I've not had good results using them dry or with oil either.

B.

Sam

Staff member
I've had 'em around for 40+ years. Don't use 'em much.

Prefer the man-made product because you have a choice of using stones DESIGNED for use dry, with water or with oil.

Also a wide range of specific grits - Tams don't have that.

I've not had good results using them dry or with oil either.

B.

Lynton liked them for stoning off gold, but I find that they load-up like crazy.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Can someone please elaborate I don't know what this is for and I'm sure others have the same question.

Thanks again

Carlos De La O III

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would really like to know what these stones can do that synthetic stones cannot do. I've used both - in fact I have a tam-o-shanter stone or two around here somewhere - and I don't see what the excitement is with them. Maybe someone can fill me in. I'm not arguing or saying they're not better. I just want to know :)

I used them a few times about thirty years ago, in fact I still have a few, they are supposed to remove gold flush, that is, without a dip in it :rolleyes:..... takes too long, the stone wears in the middle so it's not flat anymore...can't see the point :confused: I have been rubbing down LOTS of gold over the years without them!

Phil

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So what are you using now Phil? I've always used Water of Ayre stones and never had a loading problem if kept wet but they are messy and can be slow as Phil says. But it does work and works well IMHO.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marcus, I don't use them because of the reasons I stated, plus..and you remind me, that they are messy. I use wet & dry but without water as this causes a dip in the gold.

Phil

Sam

Staff member
Yes, now I remember how messy they are when used wet. My Gesswein rapid breakdown stones are also messy, but as I recall the water of ayr stones created a thicker sludge than the synthetic stones.