Taiaha

Andrew Biggs

The Taiaha is a close quarter weapon held in both hands and used by early Maori with devastating effect. Today it is still used in ceremonial occasions. It is generally made from very hard wood like matai or whale bone and is decorated with elaborate carvings (Whakairo) and wrapped in feathers, dog hair and flax fibres.

One end has a spear head called the Areo (tounge) and is for stabbing and thrusting at the enemy.

The area immediately behind the Areo is the Upoko (head) and this depicts the mask of Tumatauenga, the God of war. He was the only son of Rangi, the Sky Father and Papa, the Earth Mother that remained undefeated in the conflicts that followed their separation. The eyes on both sides see all around and show the alertness of the wielder.

The shaft is named Tinana (body) and is a long flat blade used for parrying and striking like a clever. This is always smooth and unadorned. Generally the overall length of the taiaha is 5 to 6 feet.

A fully trained warrior would use fast footwork to distract his enemy while brandishing his taiaha making use of the entire length of the weapon. Thrust, parry and strike, constantly spinning the taiaha to dazzle his enemy and looking for an opening to deliver the death blow.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
what's going on here, andrew ? that looks to be barely 5 inches long, let alone 5 feet !! we're going to have to keep an eye on you i'm thinkin. :confused:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think this might be my favorite piece that you've done, Andrew. Such intricate detail, and I really like the contrast of the symmetry in the lower section. Bravo! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wonderful design, as usual Andrew! I think the bottom portion of the design would make a really cool silverware pattern. I love the subtle shading of the mask elements, really makes them pop.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks guys

These WH knives are very pleasant to cut.

If you are interested in real Taiaha's and wish to see more of them, there are plenty of pictures on Google Images. They are a formidable close combat weapon in the hands of a skilled person.

Cheers
Andrew

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is excellent Andrew, What you've done really works with the Damascus in the blade too.
Very Nice!

Latest posts

Sponsors